Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water found in passenger front footwell on 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model Y a few months ago.
We haven't had any hard rain until recently, and today when driving home after my Y was parked all day in the rain at work, I noticed that my front passenger foot well was covered with water, like someone had sat there (no one did).

Is this a known issue??? My previous S, X, and 3 have never had this problem.

Thanks.

Edit: added photos of water in the footwell, and where I think the water is dripping from above the footwell from a vent that was wet to touch

Attachments

• E182F9E7-7D93-47B2-9460-D3051987D3C0.jpeg
    E182F9E7-7D93-47B2-9460-D3051987D3C0.jpeg
    642.3 KB · Views: 1,117
  • B34211C2-8D16-43EF-B49D-1E0D1E0C882E.jpeg
    B34211C2-8D16-43EF-B49D-1E0D1E0C882E.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 4DE80B35-B9D5-41FC-8C18-E96843DA3913.jpeg
    4DE80B35-B9D5-41FC-8C18-E96843DA3913.jpeg
    739.4 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday I took out the Bioweapon box that holds the filter just 2 blots on either side and there was water in the intake duct I don't think the seal was set properly from factory. I put it all back together didn't have time to check with the hose but I will check tomorrow

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday I took out the Bioweapon box that holds the filter just 2 blots on either side and there was water in the intake duct I don't think the seal was set properly from factory. I put it all back together didn't have time to check with the hose but I will check tomorrow
@jcanoe , yes mine has the bioweapon as well.

@vincebus - let me know what you find on your hose test. If you end up fixing this, I’ll ask you later on exactly what you did. :)

So today it rained hard in San Diego and no water in the footwell ! I think what the problem was that the bioweapon box just need to be seated properly the white gasket wasn't seated all the way in so water would run down in the intake tube and get sucked up

So today it rained hard in San Diego and no water in the footwell ! I think what the problem was that the bioweapon box just need to be seated properly the white gasket wasn't seated all the way in so water would run down in the intake tube and get sucked up
That’s good news.
Would there be any chance in the future you could post a video of exactly how you accessed this area of the vehicle and show what you did? I think it would help a lot of folks here. Thanks!

My Model Y(2022) is only a week old. I drove for less than a week and I have the same problem. I will bring it over to the service center next week. I am very concerned about this issue now. It did snow 2 days before.

Model Y is loaded with leaks, here is another example.
I'm not dismissing the issue as obviously leaks are a problem, and I get that Tesla has QC issues, but it seems that a lot of people think this is unique to Tesla. Leaks (and other QC issues) can happen with any vehicle. My mother has had two vehicles with massive leaks. One was a brand new Mercedes SL convertible where they didn't properly seal the top. The car was brand new, we went out for dinner and it started raining. We returned to the car to find that water was pouring through the whole roof. The car ended up having so many problems it ended up being a lemon. A flatbed took it back to the dealership and on the way the entire back windshield broke. They called her to tell her about the glass breaking for no reason on her "haunted" car. Apparently it freaked out the tow driver. She later got a Jaguar XK8 and water would pour through the map lights. Now she has an iPace that keeps having battery issues (it becomes completely undriveable/won't turn on) and is in the process of having it taken back as a lemon. They have supposedly replaced the battery multiple times and it keeps failing.

I just got my Model Y a few months ago.
We haven't had any hard rain until recently, and today when driving home after my Y was parked all day in the rain at work, I noticed that my front passenger foot well was covered with water, like someone had sat there (no one did).

Is this a known issue??? My previous S, X, and 3 have never had this problem.

Thanks.

Edit: added photos of water in the footwell, and where I think the water is dripping from above the footwell from a vent that was wet to touch
I have exact same problem. I would like to find out if the service center was able to fix this problem permanently. I am going to bring it over to the service center next week as it is the earliest I could make an appointment.

My wife’s Model Y has the same issue plus and an obvious smell from the moisture collecting somewhere. The SC said they corrected the biobox seal but that apparently is not the cause of the smell. The A/C unit was also dripping internally and this now requires major surgery on a brand new car to get corrected. I am now looking into our Lemon Laws. They have had the car for 3 weeks now.

Last edited:
Reactions: tupapa
I have exact same problem. I would like to find out if the service center was able to fix this problem permanently. I am going to bring it over to the service center next week as it is the earliest I could make an appointment.
It is most likely that the bioweapon box is not properly seated as mentioned by another member. If that is the issue then it should be an easy and permanent fix.

Reactions: tupapa