Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water heater: Gas to electric conversion illegal in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your state punishes you for using more the your share. They want to force everyone into postage stamp housing, if your single in a 4 bedroom house they will force you out and give it to a family of 5 or more.

I have really no reason to do solar and PW’s other then I think it is cool, and the libs want to push up the cost of energy across the country.. oh and the zombies...

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Vines and bkp_duke
not trying to jack the current discussion of this thread but have basic questions about OP title
I will soon have solar as well as 2 PW and I currently have a newer 50gal ng water heater in 3 car garage home built in 2018
So if I understand correctly heat pump water heater pulls heat from (garage in my case) to slowly heat water and uses induction when necessary or based on programming
I have been wanting to cool garage anyway during summer for working out using home gym etc (Garage Hits 100 F often in summer) and was contemplating buying ceiling / attic fan for garage (with fire damper of course) so this would accomplish two things in my case ... cooling garage and lower ng use
I assume all I need is to run 30amp / 240v and rearrange inlet outlet / add expansion ... current ceiling vent for ng water heater would no longer be used. (Assume I have an uncle that is a plumber and another that is a decent electrician) and that we are not huge hot water users
Am I missing anything here? Downside other than initial cost (I’ll wait until maybe HD drops price again)

So I basically have that set up. In the winter I have a boiler for radiant heat and an indirect water heater. Come spring I turn that off and use my heat pump water heater for all my DHW until fall. In the winter I turn the heat pump water heater down to @80-90 as a preheater. Yes it does blow out cool air which is nice although I doubt enough to make much of a difference - for a 3 car garage (sq' - ceiling height?). If your garage is reaching a 100 degrees I would think something else is wrong. Are your walls/ceiling insulated? Double pane glass? Insulated garage doors? My garage is @1100 sq' with 10'+ ceilings and has never got that hot.

For my German heat pump water heater I only needed a 15 amp 240v connection.

Reactions: NuShrike
So I basically have that set up. In the winter I have a boiler for radiant heat and an indirect water heater. Come spring I turn that off and use my heat pump water heater for all my DHW until fall. In the winter I turn the heat pump water heater down to @80-90 as a preheater. Yes it does blow out cool air which is nice although I doubt enough to make much of a difference - for a 3 car garage (sq' - ceiling height?). If your garage is reaching a 100 degrees I would think something else is wrong. Are your walls/ceiling insulated? Double pane glass? Insulated garage doors? My garage is @1100 sq' with 10'+ ceilings and has never got that hot.

For my German heat pump water heater I only needed a 15 amp 240v connection.

Peaks at 100 few hours a day for a couple weeks In worst of summer prob average low 90’s out there during this time
Garage 9 foot ceiling garage doors uninsulated and face south so prob major source of heat / attic space over garage is not insulated .. unsure of walls not on living side .. house itself is amazingly well insulted (2018 CA build)
I may just hopefully wait for a future ng / heatpump hybrid water heater :)

Your state punishes you for using more the your share. They want to force everyone into postage stamp housing, if your single in a 4 bedroom house they will force you out and give it to a family of 5 or more.

I have really no reason to do solar and PW’s other then I think it is cool, and the libs want to push up the cost of energy across the country.. oh and the zombies...

I hope you were just kidding.

California makes it easy for people to own as big as house as they can buy. With Prop 13 our property taxes are low (1.125% of purchase prices) and largely fixed (<2% increase in tax amount allowed) for the length of time, you own the home. I pay 1/4 to 1/5 what my new next door neighbor does for property taxes. Heck, I pay less than my relatives do for houses they paid 1/4 of our market value for in Austin. So my wife and I stay in our 5 bedroom house even though the cat is the only one that goes in certain rooms.

Reactions: NuShrike
In California if you want to downsize houses, there are some provisions to fully or partially transfer your property tax valuation from your existing house to your new house.. I don't recall the details, there may be a minimum age requirement, and a limitation on the counties of the new and old house.

Cheers, Wayne

I hope you were just kidding..
No, it is on the short list as well as taking your 401K!

I.... With Prop 13 our property taxes are low (1.125% of purchase prices) and largely fixed (<2% increase in tax amount allowed) for the length of time, you own the home. I pay 1/4 to 1/5 what my new next door neighbor does for property taxes. .
But you pay huge electric bills. Prop 13 is what happens when people vote power of the purse, you pay but I don’t have to. But California has income tax, high sales tax, and property tax. I’m surprised everyone in California isn’t on food stamps!

No, it is on the short list as well as taking your 401K!

But you pay huge electric bills. Prop 13 is what happens when people vote power of the purse, you pay but I don’t have to. But California has income tax, high sales tax, and property tax. I’m surprised everyone in California isn’t on food stamps!
Please take the politics out, or I will bring in my politics and blow up this thread.

• Funny
Reactions: pdx_m3s