Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in Frunk after touchless car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone! First post! I took delivery of my 2022 MY LR this past Friday 3/18. Of course my family and I love it! I took the car to a touchless car wash on saturday and noticed there was water in the frunk. Not a lot, but enough to where if there was anything of importance in the frunk it definitely wouldn't have been dry. I called my local service center and they told me to make an appointment. The appointment is 6 weeks out. The guy on the phone said it was normal and can happen during rain as well, I love my car already but definitely don't consider water in the frunk as normal.

Has anyone had this issue? I am glad I know so after car washes ill dry it off asap until my service center appointment.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

Reactions: Noflash
I washed my car the other day by hand, never opening the frunk. Went to pack for a trip and I had a bit of standing water in the compartment as well, and had condensation forming on the underside of the hood... wasnt too happy about it.

I'll be making a mental note to dry it out after washing.

I've experienced this as well, and was told by a SA that the seals around the frunk don't stand up well to high water pressure, but will work OK to keep rain out. Appears to be a known issue, keep a towel in there when washing or dry out after is my best advice. I wish I'd have known that before though as I was hiding xmas presents in there when I went through the wash! Good luck

Reactions: Jamesmy
I've experienced this as well, and was told by a SA that the seals around the frunk don't stand up well to high water pressure, but will work OK to keep rain out. Appears to be a known issue, keep a towel in there when washing or dry out after is my best advice. I wish I'd have known that before though as I was hiding xmas presents in there when I went through the wash! Good luck
I’ve owned several convertibles and on everyone one of them high pressure water will get past the seals, while it keeps rain out. The frunk likely uses the same type of rubber seals, so I’m not surprised to hear this. It is good to know, so that I know to go try it out.

Hello everyone! First post! I took delivery of my 2022 MY LR this past Friday 3/18. Of course my family and I love it! I took the car to a touchless car wash on saturday and noticed there was water in the frunk. Not a lot, but enough to where if there was anything of importance in the frunk it definitely wouldn't have been dry. I called my local service center and they told me to make an appointment. The appointment is 6 weeks out. The guy on the phone said it was normal and can happen during rain as well, I love my car already but definitely don't consider water in the frunk as normal.

Has anyone had this issue? I am glad I know so after car washes ill dry it off asap until my service center appointment.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.
Congrats on your new MYLR. Glad you're enjoying it. Also glad you posted it. I will need to keep this in mind with my next car wash. I still haven't "realized" that I have a whole other storage space under the hood. Old habits die hard...

I had that issue with my '21 Model 3 SR+. Took it in for service and they annotated they tested and fixed it (replaced seals or something). I went through the touchless carwash again and....same exact issue of water in the frunk. No point it taking it back to service I guess. *roll eyes*

I’ve owned several convertibles and on everyone one of them high pressure water will get past the seals, while it keeps rain out. The frunk likely uses the same type of rubber seals, so I’m not surprised to hear this. It is good to know, so that I know to go try it out.
Should note too that a bit of water would come through the moonroof in my previous car (presumably with similar rubber seals). You make an excellent point.

Reactions: laservet
Should note too that a bit of water would come through the moonroof in my previous car (presumably with similar rubber seals). You make an excellent point.
Does the excellent point justify water intrusion into a closed/sealed storage compartment of a 50~60k non convertible? Easiest answer ever, No it absolutely doesn't.

"That one car I had, that isn't a Tesla did the same thing" and comparing apples to oranges... yep, both fruits.

I had that issue with my '21 Model 3 SR+. Took it in for service and they annotated they tested and fixed it (replaced seals or something). I went through the touchless carwash again and....same exact issue of water in the frunk. No point it taking it back to service I guess. *roll eyes*
I have a service appointment April 15th. Not sure how it will go but hope it goes well! I have only had my car for a week and the water in the frunk has been the only "issue" so far. I love the car and hope they can seal it.

Does the excellent point justify water intrusion into a closed/sealed storage compartment of a 50~60k non convertible? Easiest answer ever, No it absolutely doesn't.

"That one car I had, that isn't a Tesla did the same thing" and comparing apples to oranges... yep, both fruits.
My point is that rubber seals can only handle so much pressure, and the high-pressure touchless carwash likely exceeds that threshold. It is only a soft piece of rubber after all, can't expect the world from it.

a crap load of water pools in front of the hinge
if your seals aren't aligned properly that can easily leak into the frunk compartment.
its normal for water to pool on the black plastic piece and it eventually drains into the middle hinge area