Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in rear storage area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it water that leaked in through the Panorama roof and down somehow into the trunk?
I just discovered the water tonight mold on everything down in the storage area.
I'm willing to bet that the story from the service center will be "can you bring it in in a couple weeks?" I live in SF Bay Area where the centers are WAY oversubscribed. Then I will get the obligatory 6 week wait for replacement interior parts

Reactions: gabeincal
Something similar happened to me, but it was due to water leaking through the tail light assembly/applique (see various threads re: moisture inside tail lens). Something to do with a leaky seal that caused water to accumulate inside the rear liftgate and at one point would pour water down inside whenever I opened the liftgate.

Maybe yours is a subtle leak, but that's where mine occurred. Service center ended up replacing the rear carpet area (they discovered the dampness in the storage area during the inspection).

Reactions: Altes
Something similar happened to me, but it was due to water leaking through the tail light assembly/applique (see various threads re: moisture inside tail lens). Something to do with a leaky seal that caused water to accumulate inside the rear liftgate and at one point would pour water down inside whenever I opened the liftgate.

My 2013 S85 had the same issue. Tail light assemblies were re-sealed and no issues since (knock on wood).

@Altes - please let us know cause when you find out.

My wife's '13 also had the same problem of water in the tail lights and water pouring out when the trunk was opened. The Marietta service center had the parts in stock and was available to make the fix only a couple of days out. We did not have any mold issues so I scheduled my appointment for the next week when it was more convenient for me.

Reactions: gabeincal
My late '14 S85 had a sunroof issue where water accumulated instead of draining. It was parked for a few days in our lovely drought-recovery-weather of late and when I rolled to a stop it poured on my head :) I assumed the seals were leaking but apparently the issue was the drains were plugged and overflow went places other than the drain. It wouldn't surprise me if this were possible in the rear of the car as well. Something to look for while waiting to get in.

BTW, You mention Bay Area crowding, I've been able to get in to Palo Alto within a week usually and I hear Sunnyvale is less backed up.

My late '14 S85 had a sunroof issue where water accumulated instead of draining. It was parked for a few days in our lovely drought-recovery-weather of late and when I rolled to a stop it poured on my head :) I assumed the seals were leaking but apparently the issue was the drains were plugged and overflow went places other than the drain. It wouldn't surprise me if this were possible in the rear of the car as well. Something to look for while waiting to get in.

BTW, You mention Bay Area crowding, I've been able to get in to Palo Alto within a week usually and I hear Sunnyvale is less backed up.
the car is garaged so plugged drain holes is not the issue, unless they were factory plugged. ive had it two months

Update on water leak. Called last Thursday and they said they would pick up car Monday. So far so good, they pick up car and I told them I would return wed and get the car they said great. We'd- no call no message no nothing. Thursday.....same. Today I call them and they say they are waiting on parts (HAHAHAHAHA I'm 30 minutes from the f-cling factory) then they call back miraculously and say parts are in and they MIGHT have it done today.
Very disappointed in the SF service. Super casual attitude about a major issue on a $70k vehicle, piss poor communication on status and completion . Guarantee Porsche, Mercedes and BMW don't treat their customers like this

Update on water leak. Called last Thursday and they said they would pick up car Monday. So far so good, they pick up car and I told them I would return wed and get the car they said great. We'd- no call no message no nothing. Thursday.....same. Today I call them and they say they are waiting on parts (HAHAHAHAHA I'm 30 minutes from the f-cling factory) then they call back miraculously and say parts are in and they MIGHT have it done today.
Very disappointed in the SF service. Super casual attitude about a major issue on a $70k vehicle, piss poor communication on status and completion . Guarantee Porsche, Mercedes and BMW don't treat their customers like this

Good luck. I'm battling (unsuccessfully so far) my own Tesla QC issues so I feel your frustration in dealing with Tesla quality and Tesla customer service.

My tail lamp leaked which apparently it is a common issue with Model Ss. The parts replaced on mine were the tail lamp assembly, a flange, and the liftgate applique.

• Helpful
I have lots of water in the rear storage area of my new S60, Mold and moisture thru everything stored in there. any hitory on this issue? Ive owned LOTS of vehicles and NEVER had a leak issue, especially in a new car. This is just POOR quality
I'm getting the same issue.

It started when a hole appeared in the black plastic under the car in the rear that covers the interior. I was quoted $500 for the plastic + labor. I'm getting it fixed soon. Look under the car to see if your undercover is damaged. Since it's symmetrical, compare both sides.

Did they say which part?

• Informative
It's probably going to be the rear applique. It was replaced on mine for the same issue. The problem is the seal shrinks a little bit, with age and can let water in, if it's coming at just the right angle.

As for the remark of "Guarantee Porsche, Mercedes and BMW don't treat their customers like this," you should just do a little web search for horror stories, causing greater mental anguish to other owners. The experience I had with the MB that my Tesla replaced, makes your experience seem like a rather pleasant interaction. ;)