Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in the trunk when opening fix

Baymax3

Jun 19, 2018
Canada
One of the biggest design flaws in the M3 has to be how when you open the trunk on a rainy day, water from the deck lid rolls on to the rear glass and into the trunk. Well I think (hope) I've just installed a simple fix.

Found a carbon fibre spoiler for the rear window that should defect the water to the sides and not into the trunk.
IMG_7218.jpg
IMG_2331.jpg

El0n

Sep 21, 2019
Mars
My car Sept 2019 build has some sort of lip and ditch type of thing to direct water around the trunk and onto the ground between the lights and the trunk. It’s raining heavily as I type this and when I parked in my garage to get the groceries I got literally 2 drops into the trunk itself. Perhaps Tesla has fixed this?

Reactions: house9

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
My car Sept 2019 build has some sort of lip and ditch type of thing to direct water around the trunk and onto the ground between the lights and the trunk. It’s raining heavily as I type this and when I parked in my garage to get the groceries I got literally 2 drops into the trunk itself. Perhaps Tesla has fixed this?

No, they did not.

Nor is there an easy fix, since properly engineered cars have a much deeper rain gutter between the edge of the rear window and the trunk. Model 3's don't (and other Tesla's have had their own slew of water leak problems), and would require re-engineering, re-tooling, and production downtime to address this.

Since it doesn't rain much in Cali, they didn't, and likely wont any time soon.

a

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial

El0n

Sep 21, 2019
Mars
Mine certainly has a “rain gutter” and I just came into a dry garage from a heavy downpour outside and witnessed a whole bunch of water fall into the rear windshield when the trunk was opened. None of that water subsequently dripped into the trunk.

PACEMD

Aug 8, 2019
Billings, MT, USA
Mine certainly has a “rain gutter” and I just came into a dry garage from a heavy downpour outside and witnessed a whole bunch of water fall into the rear windshield when the trunk was opened. None of that water subsequently dripped into the trunk.

Gotne pitchures?

akdnj88

Aug 10, 2019
USA

Can you please post a picture of what you're talking about?

gcmak

Jul 26, 2019
San Francisco
Since it doesn't rain much in Cali, they didn't, and likely wont any time soon.

a
Agree with you on the rare rain but I live by the coast in real heavy fog and 80% of my mornings year round consist of a wet car and reliably as I open my trunk in the morning, as the water sheets off the trunk lid and onto the rear glass...it always nicely waterfalls into my trunk.
I guess things could be better if I had no protection on the car so water wouldn't run/sheet off panels and glass...haha.

tuanyes84

Jun 15, 2017
Portland, OR
i traded in an early 2018 for a 5xx,xxx build date and can confirm the rain gutter system is much more pronounced. Hopefully this will decrease the amount of rain getting into the cabin when opening the trunk

• Informative
Reactions: WileyTheMan

Hens

Sep 22, 2019
Krimpen aan den IJssel
I have got my car 4 days now, but it does not heve some kind of gutter. Strange...

Rothgarr

Apr 15, 2019
United States
The fix has been in for at least 6 months as far as I was aware. It is a more pronounced weatherstrip around trunk opening.
The sales guy pointed out the larger weather stripping when I asked, and mine has it, but it's still not perfect. That's why I got an all season weather mat for the trunk as well.

Reactions: srs5694

aethatsme

Sep 15, 2019
Chicago
I believed they fixed this with a thicker weather strip. But I like the idea of having that little rear window lip to deflect the water. Got a link to it?

billionaiire

Apr 2, 2019
West of Mississippi
2019 Model 3 and have not seen any water get into the trunk upon opening the lid ever.

side note - I used to see a couple of drops of water slip through after a downpour or car wash if I opened the charge port though. Not concerning at all. And there are battery port plastic caps available for that anyway.

Dinosaurus

Jun 17, 2019
Portland, OR
That's cool. I'll have to try it.

I have a 6/19 build with gutter and lip, but all the rain drops do no matter slowly I open is speed down the windshield, then ramp over the gutter and into the trunk.

Only thing I can think of is that my ceramic coat and waxing of the windshield makes the water flow too fast? (Is that even possible?) Otherwise, the gutter is too narrowly designed IMO.

Reactions: gcmak

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC