Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in the trunk when opening fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

It works. I have it.

Water from the window runs down...hits it and the cohesion and adhesion factor of water causes it to stick to this "water spoiler" and it drips down the back into the channel around the trunk. Water no longer runs into the trunk when I open it ( while it's raining ).

It also looks cool as it matches the contour of my Tesla provided OEM spoiler.

rain.jpg

Reactions: linux-works
Only thing I can think of is that my ceramic coat and waxing of the windshield makes the water flow too fast? (Is that even possible?) Otherwise, the gutter is too narrowly designed IMO.
Of course the ceramic coat/waxing is speeding up the water droplets this is what is made for.
Since i've mine i've started having this problem, before i had no problem when opening "slowly"

One of the biggest design flaws in the M3 has to be how when you open the trunk on a rainy day, water from the deck lid rolls on to the rear glass and into the trunk. Well I think (hope) I've just installed a simple fix.

Found a carbon fibre spoiler for the rear window that should defect the water to the sides and not into the trunk.
View attachment 457606 View attachment 457607

Is it Carbon Fiber or ABS with Carbon Fiber looks?

The sales guy pointed out the larger weather stripping when I asked, and mine has it, but it's still not perfect. That's why I got an all season weather mat for the trunk as well.

FWIW, on my Model 3, which was both built and delivered in March of 2019, I don't see water getting into the trunk when the rain is light; however, when the rain is heavy, some does work its way into the trunk. Before purchasing my car, I'd seen videos about the problem and so I did the same as you -- I bought an all-season weather mat for the trunk. Of course, that won't keep water off my groceries (or whatever I put in the trunk), but I figured it would reduce the risk of mold growing on the trunk's carpet.

My model 3 is a November 2019 build and has this problem. So if they "fixed" it then only partially. I do have a ceramic coating. (as a side note, I think a ceramic coating also makes your wipers much less needed, something the auto and built in speeds for the wiper do not accommodate well!)

I had been watching this one on Amazon. Has more reviews than the other amazon one posted above. Seems a bit steep in price. But it is a bit annoying. The most annoying part is more that others see it and crap on the car! And they aren't exactly wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/WJM-Tesla-Wi...rds=model+3+trunk+water&qid=1578682653&sr=8-2