Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in the trunk when opening fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the biggest design flaws in the M3 has to be how when you open the trunk on a rainy day, water from the deck lid rolls on to the rear glass and into the trunk. Well I think (hope) I've just installed a simple fix.

Found a carbon fibre spoiler for the rear window that should defect the water to the sides and not into the trunk.
IMG_7218.jpg
IMG_2331.jpg

My car Sept 2019 build has some sort of lip and ditch type of thing to direct water around the trunk and onto the ground between the lights and the trunk. It’s raining heavily as I type this and when I parked in my garage to get the groceries I got literally 2 drops into the trunk itself. Perhaps Tesla has fixed this?

Reactions: house9
My car Sept 2019 build has some sort of lip and ditch type of thing to direct water around the trunk and onto the ground between the lights and the trunk. It’s raining heavily as I type this and when I parked in my garage to get the groceries I got literally 2 drops into the trunk itself. Perhaps Tesla has fixed this?

No, they did not.

Nor is there an easy fix, since properly engineered cars have a much deeper rain gutter between the edge of the rear window and the trunk. Model 3's don't (and other Tesla's have had their own slew of water leak problems), and would require re-engineering, re-tooling, and production downtime to address this.

Since it doesn't rain much in Cali, they didn't, and likely wont any time soon.

a

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Mine certainly has a “rain gutter” and I just came into a dry garage from a heavy downpour outside and witnessed a whole bunch of water fall into the rear windshield when the trunk was opened. None of that water subsequently dripped into the trunk.

Since it doesn't rain much in Cali, they didn't, and likely wont any time soon.

a
Agree with you on the rare rain but I live by the coast in real heavy fog and 80% of my mornings year round consist of a wet car and reliably as I open my trunk in the morning, as the water sheets off the trunk lid and onto the rear glass...it always nicely waterfalls into my trunk.
I guess things could be better if I had no protection on the car so water wouldn't run/sheet off panels and glass...haha.

I have got my car 4 days now, but it does not heve some kind of gutter. Strange...

2019 Model 3 and have not seen any water get into the trunk upon opening the lid ever.

side note - I used to see a couple of drops of water slip through after a downpour or car wash if I opened the charge port though. Not concerning at all. And there are battery port plastic caps available for that anyway.

That's cool. I'll have to try it.

I have a 6/19 build with gutter and lip, but all the rain drops do no matter slowly I open is speed down the windshield, then ramp over the gutter and into the trunk.

Only thing I can think of is that my ceramic coat and waxing of the windshield makes the water flow too fast? (Is that even possible?) Otherwise, the gutter is too narrowly designed IMO.

Reactions: gcmak