Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in trunk seal/plastic thingy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, long story short, the sound was coming from the windshield wipers and the leak was coming from behind the taillight. They replaced both and it fixed the issues.

As a side note, I had two loaner vehicles during this process and they made me miss my car so much. The 2017 model X 75d and 2016 model s p90d are both so outdated compared to my 2022 Y. They both rattled so much and had such slow and unresponsive voice controls. Both if them had lots of wind noise as well. The sun visor on the model x is a ridiculous design. Even the seats in the older x and s are so inferior to the current Y. Tesla has certainly come a long way in 5 years.

Reactions: tdeno
Quick update:

smaller amounts of water in the trunk area after making adjustments to the "lid bumpers" (see my other post for pictures) - I took it in yesterday and they found an issue behind the passenger tail light where a small hole was allowing the water into the vehicle.

"Found water getting in through body sealant hole behind tail light on liftgate. Sealed crevices and holes."

1653832305259.png

Reactions: teca01
Hi everyone, the issue you’re (I’m) having is not because of the a faulty seal (the main one that goes around the lift gate) or the rubber stoppers. This is caused by water getting in your lift gate and draining down to your trunk. It depend on how much your lift gate takes in water the results can be from a flooded sub trunk to just water spooling in the groves of the seal. Water can get inside the lift gate from poorly sealed/mounted rear glass window, poorly sealed/mounted taillight housing assembly(the two on your lift gate) and the license plate light assembly. Now we just need Tesla SC to agree with us. I’ve seen so many people had their seal replaced only to have the same leak again.

Had this problem start on my 2021, took apart all the plastic trunk trim and bought the sealant tesla listed in their service docs and went ham and sealed everywhere I see that can be the cause of the water intrusion. I did seal all behind both taillights and inside the trunk. Seems to have solved the problem with the recent rains.

Yes, there is a recently released TSB. I had the Service Center fix the issue but still leaks a tiny bit. I am bringing it back. To check whether the repair fixed the issue, spray water on the hatch and taillamp with a garden hose then unscrew the rubber feet attached to the rear hatch. Then check if you can feel water inside the trim since that is where water collects and seeping into the weather seal. Took a while to figure out. Hope this saves time for other Tesla owners.

Reactions: Richster64