Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

water in trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay just watched the video... this guy washes and waxes his car every day? OMG! Is he crazy? His garden sprinklers probably came on over night and he waxed right over the hard water stains the next morning to feed his obsessive compulsive disorder. So many things wrong with this car... nothing works apparently, not even the paint. Water spots mean soft paint? If there's something wrong with the paint, maybe it has something to do with being washed and waxed on a daily basis?

Sorry, this is just funny.

We had a sc mgr at one of our recent owner meetings and he specifically raised this issue. He said he's seen it a number of times and water (lots of it) comes out of the rear hatch and into the trunk. This is very different from the minor dripping along the outer edges after opening post wash. Definitely needs hatch seals fixed/replaced.

He washes the car every day. He should paint correct and seal/wax the car's paint.

I have, I'm up to approx 20 coats of wax in 2 months. I just switched to a Eagle One synthetic wax, seems promising. Huge rain storm tonight. Will see in the morning :)

- - - Updated - - -

So, it's normal to for fresh water spots to be difficult to remove? Not in my experience, prior to getting my Model S. Let them sit a while, and it's a different story, but a new water spot should be fairly easy to remove. I had the experience where I pre-rinsed my car with hard water, and then immediately washed it with Optimum No Rinse (yeah, no rinse, I know, but the car was very dirty), and I ended up with spots.

In the case of this video, I believe he said the spots were from rain, which should be very soft water. Rainwater is not pure, of course, and it does leave spots, but they should be much easier to clean up than hard water spots.

I am having the spotting with rain, straight hose water, and have recently tested a gallon of distilled water, no difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay just watched the video... this guy washes and waxes his car every day? OMG! Is he crazy? His garden sprinklers probably came on over night and he waxed right over the hard water stains the next morning to feed his obsessive compulsive disorder. So many things wrong with this car... nothing works apparently, not even the paint. Water spots mean soft paint? If there's something wrong with the paint, maybe it has something to do with being washed and waxed on a daily basis?

Sorry, this is just funny.

Thanks, I do my best to entertain :)
I do not wash and wax as much any more, twice a week now. The reason I was washing and waxing so much was to find the right wax that complimented this paint. I think I have finally found it, being a synthetic "wax" made by eagle one.

I'm having the same issue in my trunk. Water drips from the trunk handles. If we get a lot of rain, it will also pour into the trunk when I open it. They can't seem to figure out exactly where the water is coming from. Has anyone had this issue, and gotten it resolved?
20160116_183642.jpg

@cdf3 - I had exactly he same type of water ingress - visible around the handles and also collecting in the little well catching the latch of the hatch. It was fixed by SC on a first try without any recurring problems. See the corresponding service invoice description, including parts, below. Good luck, hope that this helps.

Snap145.png

Last edited:
@cdf3 - I had exactly he same type of water ingress - visible around the handle and also collecting in the little well catching the latch of the hatch. It was fixed by SC on a first try without any recurring problems. See the corresponding service invoice description, including parts, below. Good luck, hope that this helps.

Thank you for the much needed info. I will definitely share this info with them so I can get this problem taken care of.

I'm having the same issue in my trunk. Water drips from the trunk handles. If we get a lot of rain, it will also pour into the trunk when I open it. They can't seem to figure out exactly where the water is coming from. Has anyone had this issue, and gotten it resolved?
Yes I had this issue. My Service Center said it was a known issue and was due to the taillight seals leaking. They fixed it with new seals. Contact your Service Center!

@cdf3 - I had exactly he same type of water ingress - visible around the handles and also collecting in the little well catching the latch of the hatch. It was fixed by SC on a first try without any recurring problems. See the corresponding service invoice description, including parts, below. Good luck, hope that this helps.

View attachment 112912

Same thing.

Only after a heavy long rain... while parked. Lift the hatch and poured out of the interior handle.

They replaced not only the seals on the rear tails on the hatch, but both tail lights themselves, for risk of having had water get in them and potentially corroding or shorting out. "This is a safety item" he said, meaning stop lights are important to always work. Took no chances.

I had this happen early on with my 5/2013 MS60. It took 3 service visits to get it fixed, the last one with the rear light seal replacement.

Right after, my trunk latch failed shut, wouldn't open. They replaced the latch unit and were going to give me the car back when the latch failed again. They then replaced the latch control unit along with the latch.

The service center never overtly made the connection, but I'm convinced the the latch and/or module were damaged by the water intrusion, so watch out for that.