Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water ingress inside HVAC assembly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, for no apparent reason, my just over one year old Model Y started making a noise. It was a squeaky fan sort of sound, like you would get if the fan needed to be lubricated. Intermittent, not particularly loud. Thinking this might be the prelude to some kind of real problem, I scheduled service and got to take it in a week later.

So, they listen to the noise and say I should just wait while they do a quick fix. Probably some debris got in the HVAC system. 15 minutes.

Later, come back with the observation that it seems to be kind of wet in there and it will take a bit longer for them to dry it out.

Later, well, there was a lot of water in the HVAC system, so we'll try to dry it out, and we've replaced the soaking wet cabin air filters, and we'll order a new HVAC assembly to be installed at a later time, but you should be fine for now. No idea how the water got in. The car seems fine now.

So there's been quite a bit of rain recently here in NorCal, and the car is parked outside. But seriously, this is minor damp compared to many places. And I haven't been driving through any deep water, or even much more than wet streets and rain.

Anybody else seen anything similar? Seems unlikely to me that unless they've changed the design of the thing that a new HVAC assembly will fix anything. Of course it's possible that something had been put together slightly wrong to begin with and just taking it apart and putting it back together is the only fix needed.

Recently, for no apparent reason, my just over one year old Model Y started making a noise. It was a squeaky fan sort of sound, like you would get if the fan needed to be lubricated. Intermittent, not particularly loud. Thinking this might be the prelude to some kind of real problem, I scheduled service and got to take it in a week later.

So, they listen to the noise and say I should just wait while they do a quick fix. Probably some debris got in the HVAC system. 15 minutes.

Later, come back with the observation that it seems to be kind of wet in there and it will take a bit longer for them to dry it out.

Later, well, there was a lot of water in the HVAC system, so we'll try to dry it out, and we've replaced the soaking wet cabin air filters, and we'll order a new HVAC assembly to be installed at a later time, but you should be fine for now. No idea how the water got in. The car seems fine now.

So there's been quite a bit of rain recently here in NorCal, and the car is parked outside. But seriously, this is minor damp compared to many places. And I haven't been driving through any deep water, or even much more than wet streets and rain.

Anybody else seen anything similar? Seems unlikely to me that unless they've changed the design of the thing that a new HVAC assembly will fix anything. Of course it's possible that something had been put together slightly wrong to begin with and just taking it apart and putting it back together is the only fix needed.
To continue the story...

They scheduled the new HVAC assembly installation for February 1. Over the 25 days I saw inconsistent behavior. Maybe a little noise. Sometimes the defrost didn't seem to work. Messaged them about it and got told that the parts were in and it would be taken care of when scheduled. So, brought her in for the appointment and got told it would be ready to pick up on Saturday February 4 at 5PM.

By 15 minutes before the scheduled completion time I had heard nothing from them. The app showed no progress on the repair. I messaged them asking about it. So, no communication, no car.

On Sunday I get a message that the repair guys will contact me on Monday.

On Monday, I get the following message:
Hi ***, this is *** from Tesla ***. I wanted to reach out with an update on your vehicle. Our shop management believes the vehicle will complete closer to Thursday as they have not been able to begin the service and it does take a day or two to complete. If there is any other delays I will let you know. Thank you!

It's not any great hardship for me to be without the car for a bit. I have no use for their "rideshare credits". In the old days they would have given me an interesting loaner, but the old days are long gone.

But I do find this to be totally unacceptable communication behavior. There's no warning that I'm not going to get my car back on time, although they make it sound like they must have known a day ahead or so. There's no explanation as to why they haven't even started work. There's no apology for their errors. And the new estimate is expressed in a very fuzzy way -- I mean, does what your "shop management believes" have anything to do with when I'll get my car back?

Anyway, I'm not impressed and not pleased.

Given this tweet from Elon:

I think I'm owed some compensation. This is worse than them canceling since they ended up depriving me of the use of my car for five days for no apparent reason.