Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water intrusion after rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you open both FWDs at the same time? Next time try opening one at a time.

I still have this problem but less water now than before. They did some alignment with my passenger fwd, but from the naked eye my passenger seal is flatter than my drivers side.

This still annoys me as now I systematically open my passenger side, load my daughter, close fwd, then open my drivers side fwd to load the rest of the kids. Any other way and my daughter sits in a wet car seat.

There are a few things in play with rain and FWDs. Before we got our X, I had concerns too. We just used our X in one of the wettest winters in California for our son's school carpool and never had any issue with rain.

If your car has been standing in rain, obviously there's a lot of water sitting on top of the car. As the manual says, don't open both FWDs and the rear hatchback together. The amount of water may overflow the channel and end up inside the car.

This scenario of course doesn't happen when you have been driving as the water is pushed back during driving and there isn't much left on top of the car when you stop to let out the passengers.

I've the same issue when the car is parked in heavy rain for a minute or more. (The SC says the seals are o.k.)

I dont think a better seal will help. When you look how much water is on the roof of the FWD before opening them and how big the rivulet is when running down on the middle roof and back inside the car when I open them... :eek:
No way that any seal can stop this amount of water.:(

I've the same issue when the car is parked in heavy rain for a minute or more. (The SC says the seals are o.k.)

I dont think a better seal will help. When you look how much water is on the roof of the FWD before opening them and how big the rivulet is when running down on the middle roof and back inside the car when I open them... :eek:
No way that any seal can stop this amount of water.:(

I don't know, there are plenty of owners who don't have the same problem even after their car sits in the rain with standing water on top of the car. Turns out the seals in my car were also improperly installed. No rain in my forecast so I won't be able to test it anytime soon, I'm ok with that.

I don't know, there are plenty of owners who don't have the same problem even after their car sits in the rain with standing water on top of the car. Turns out the seals in my car were also improperly installed. No rain in my forecast so I won't be able to test it anytime soon, I'm ok with that.

How were the seals improperly installed? And what did the SC do to fix the issue? I'm hoping it's a simple fix on my car.

My MX is in the SC for this problem. I have a late July 2016 build. Occurs for sure on driver side, not sure about the other. Drips onto the 2nd row seat.. Door alignment looks perfect to me, so it must relate to the seal. They have ordered a new set and are getting into the install today. It there is something specific I should look for on a correction, please let me know. If there is a good news part of this, it is that I got a MX P100DL loaner. But the weather has delivered an icy coating on the streets and I don't dare push anything. If fact, I was sliding around at 2-5 mph with no control. Scared me.

It's not Space X rocket science!
IMG_6095.JPG
IMG_6102.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6104.JPG
    IMG_6104.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 146
My model X has been in several times for this issues, I believed they have replaced the seals at least twice and just again yesterday. Now this morning the entire headliner on the driver side of the vehicle is soaking wet. I may have to try what Mr. Ed did to resolve myself. Should I be considered about mold if the do not replace the leather headliner?

My '18 Model X has this issue. First the SC claimed they could not replicate it, and I should open doors to low height in rain. I had to go there and ask them to water test it in front of me, which promptly replicated the issue. So they decided to replace the seals on both sides and put in 2nd generation seals which were supposed to be higher. I picked it up today and just tested it in the rain. Water still pours in even if I open the doors to half height. Not only they could not fix it, they seem to be in denial. This is what the SC wrote on the invoice "
customer was unsatisfied with technician testing and no problem found conclusion. Its a customer education issue but performed a one time goodwill repair for both falcon door body seals. body seals still working as designed." I am debating to take it back again or just use Mr. Ed's solution above. This is ridiculous.

Update: I took it back to the same SC in March, this time the senior service manager personally took charge and researched about it and had the top portion of the seals reinstalled after adjusting the spacing. The problem is completely eliminated on the right side FWD. On the left side FWD, when I tested with copious amounts of simulated rainwater sitting on top, just a few drops come in when opened, and not always. I can live with that. Overall I am satisfied with the senior service manager's attitude and work ethic despite them being super busy with tens of cars in service. He also thanked me for insisting on a solution so that they were able to learn how to fix it.