Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water intrusion after rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning all, I wanted to get some feedback or other experiences with water intrusion at the FWD gaskets after a moderate/heavy rain.

I have found that after a rain, if I immediately open the falcon wing doors, I get a nice stream of water right into the car directly on the back of the front seats or directly on the surface of the 3rd row....

I have seen a video or two with people having this issue, and I have also seen some videos where this didn't happen on some Model X's. I find that when I full open the FWD, I get the stream of water hit the back of the front seats, and when I do a 1/2 open (to try and let the water run-off before full open) it streams on to the 3rd row seats with a lead from the rear hinge area.

This is very concerning, and with my 2 kids and living in the south, it is impossible to avoid this every few days. Right now I have my kids helping with some paper towels when it rains but this just doesn't seem right and can be embarrassing frankly.

Being in New Orleans, we do not have a local service station so I have to rely on my Ranger. He is a nice guy, and is very helpful, but I fear that he has ZERO knowledge of the Model X FWD's and I may open a can of worms if I have him start pulling things apart to see where the issue is.

Has anyone who may have had this problem had it fixed? Is this a known issue or isolated? Any suggestions for my first action to getting this resolved if it is a failure in the flashing/gutter/gasket design?

• Informative
Reactions: Blastphemy
I thought they had redesigned the seals for this, but I can't remember what cars it started on. And on top of that it appears that maybe you have to bring it to their attention in order to get the new seals?

If you are uncomfortable with your ranges knowledge I would call the support number and ask them to have someone from HQ contact you on the specific issue.

@MXadopter When was your X manufactured? We have been through plenty of rain with ours in the last two months and have not had this problem. Our X was built in June. Not sure that helps, but I would definitely agree that it's unacceptable to have large amounts of water coming in after a rain! We live in Portland, and while it's not the constant downpour people seem to believe (just like all of Canadian's don't live in igloo's) it does rain quite a bit in the winter. Lucky for me we have a service center here, and I will definitely be there if this becomes an issue, I sure hope it doesn't! We had a few rains so far this fall here, and we took a 9,000 mile road trip across the country during the month of August and hit heavy rain multiple times and did not experience any leaks when opening the FWD's at Super Chargers.

I tested this today while washing the car, and with lots of water on the roof, opening the doors all the water runs off the front and back edges of the FWDs and down channels on either side of the door to the street. I did sadly notice that the rubber seals on the body of the car appear to be starting to come unglued from the frame where the top of the FWD would contact. Not a good feeling for sure, although it may not have any effect on it's performance.

I recently noticed when opening my FWD and the roof was wet, water did run inside and onto the second row seat. I will contact my service center and follow up with you guys.

Incidentally no water has ever entered during a car wash. So the seals are obviously good when closed.

Reactions: SSD420
Thanks Martin VanB! I have contacted my Ranger and he had no immediate response. I think the seals are great in the rain or car wash, but it almost seems like their channels drain "slowly" and during a rainstorm or right after if the FWD is opened, it just runs right into the car at one or two points.

Three times water has dripped on my head in the drivers seat without opening the FW; twice after washing and once after a downpour. The headliner by the FW was damp every time. The SC looked at it and never found anything, but the front seal was repaired. It hasn't happened in a month or so. I'm wondering if the door wasn't closing all the way or if it was a seal.

Also, after a rainstorm, my tailgate lets out a huge amount of water from the drain holes in the bottom trim the first time I open it. I'm not sure if it doesn't drain constantly by design or if mine is an oddball.

I recently had that same issue. It has rained the entire morning, when I finally went out in the afternoon and opened my FWD, water poured into my MX, exactly into the spot where I usually put my laptop and also onto the 2nd so seat directly behind the drivers seat.

Is this something to report to the SC or this the new normal?

I will report it. It just sucks that I know that I'll be without my MX for weeks again. :( I just got her back after being without her for almost 20 days.
Take it to them and have the service manager note and inspect the problem. Use a garden hose if necessary. Tell them you won't leave the car until they confirm to you they have a fix and the parts in their hot little hands. Then when all that is ready, and they have a slot in their schedule, you will take it back to them.

There is absolutely no reason your car has to sit in a parking lot for days or weeks on end waiting for spurts of time for them to understand the problem, order parts and then slide it into their schedule.

Take it to them and have the service manager note and inspect the problem. Use a garden hose if necessary. Tell them you won't leave the car until they confirm to you they have a fix and the parts in their hot little hands. Then when all that is ready, and they have a slot in their schedule, you will take it back to them.

There is absolutely no reason your car has to sit in a parking lot for days or weeks on end waiting for spurts of time for them to understand the problem, order parts and then slide it into their schedule.
Thank you for the suggestion