Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Leak [ingress during car wash]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2021 Model 3 about 6 months old. When I take this to automatic car Wash it leaks significant water on right side passenger side below glove compartment. Tesla says it's normal and I should hand wash instead. I have stopped using automated car Wash now but this does not sound right? Any comments or suggestions? Leak is not small Leak it's like pouring stream of water.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I have 2021 Model 3 about 6 months old. When I take this to automatic car Wash it leaks significant water on right side passenger side below glove compartment. Tesla says it's normal and I should hand wash instead. I have stopped using automated car Wash now but this does not sound right? Any comments or suggestions? Leak is not small Leak it's like pouring stream of water.
no leak that I've noticed except when I go to a touchless the frunk gets some water with the high pressure. nothing inside the car though.

Upvote 0
Definitely not normal, presuming you have the door fully closed and windows all the way up (note there is a car wash mode to automate things).
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note if you the door was not fully closed, sometimes the window may be open a crack.

Here's some other threads with leaks from the same area, you may want to ask the OP how they got theirs fixed (although they seem more like coolant leaks):
Passenger Side Leak
Passenger Side Leak??

These are closer (caused by leak in windshield):
Interior Water Leak - Passenger Footwell

For Model Y supposedly it was related to a HVAC duct design (water going down HVAC duct and leaking into cabin):
Model Y water leak

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0

It is not normal. Ask them if they will provide you with a written statement of how and where the water is getting into the cabin from. Since it's a normal and apparently acceptable issue (according to them), they should be able to provide this information to you easily.

Upvote 0
This is not normal. Who at Tesla told you that, a sales rep? I knew they were clueless when I picked up my car and found a mismatched body panel. He told me that it's normal because Teslas are hand-built cars. That's what you get when you hire people who just did stints at McDonald's and Best Buy and think they're moving up the food chain by selling cars for a living.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also get water in the front frunk at automatic car washes. Asked service and was told this was normal. I said that there was no mention of this on the web site or in the user manual. I asked for proof of this "feature". I was meet with silence.
Fast forward 3 days and we had a lot of rain here, again a bit of water in the front frunk. Asked for service again at a different S/C and they took me in.
They are now ordering me a new basin with the gasket. They said it was not normal.

So what I'm trying to say is try a different S/C .

Upvote 0
Do you put the car in Car Wash mode before you go through?

Upvote 0
did you open a service request in the app stating the problem / w. photos. It is definitely not "normal" - and there's quite a few electronics where the glove compartment is ... so no... you dont want water coming in through there.

Upvote 0
Total BS!!! Man, I hope Tesla gets past their hard-wired responses like this. I totally dig my car (coolest machine I've ever owned), but them saying "not covered, it's an outside influence" or "not covered, that's normal or in spec" has got to change. I end up just using The Force and generally get things fixed under warranty. Keep pressing, don't hesitate to get the SC manager involved. Good luck!

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Upvote 0
Total BS!!! Man, I hope Tesla gets past their hard-wired responses like this. I totally dig my car (coolest machine I've ever owned), but them saying "not covered, it's an outside influence" or "not covered, that's normal or in spec" has got to change. I end up just using The Force and generally get things fixed under warranty. Keep pressing, don't hesitate to get the SC manager involved. Good luck!
yup - the Service level and attitude is in stark contrast to the prices they are charging for the vehicles these days.

Upvote 0
Known issue - just got mine fixed. 2022 M3 LR - car wash = wet passenger footwell. They had to pull glovebox - air ducts - car computer - front cowl to apply body sealant - internal article 198000 is the ‘tech’ article that refers to the issue. Had my car for 2 days

Car Wash tomorrow to verify it’s fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Upvote 0
Known issue - just got mine fixed. 2022 M3 LR - car wash = wet passenger footwell. They had to pull glovebox - air ducts - car computer - front cowl to apply body sealant - internal article 198000 is the ‘tech’ article that refers to the issue. Had my car for 2 days

Car Wash tomorrow to verify it’s fixed.
Not fixed. Water is less but it’s still coming in…. Will contacting a different SC in the area to see if they’ve done the repair successfully.

In Northern NJ so My choices are basically Springfield or Paramus

Upvote 0