Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Leak into Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few rainy days, I started noticing water build up in my MX trunk, it is hardly noticeable because the build up is in the compartment in the trunk area that's usually covered. I sent it to Sterling, VA service center, and they were not able to fix the issue after 2 days. I wonder if anyone had this issue with them before.

Last edited:
After a few rainy days, I started noticing water build up in my MX trunk, it is hardly noticeable because the build up is in the compartment in the trunk area that's usually covered. I sent it to Sterling, VA service center, and they were not able to fix the issue after 2 days. I wonder if anyone had this issue with them before.

I’ve had water intrusion from 2 issues. One is the seams sometimes have poorly applied sealant. The main one is all 4 HVAC exit vents have a foam gasket which can be poorly sealed against the car. This means when the exit vents encounter spray, the water comes into the vent, drips to the bottom, and falls down into the sub trunk, instead of building up and flowing back outside. If you remove the rear carpet and the sound insulation under it hopefully you can workout the water path.

I had this issue and it took about 4 days for tesla SC to figure it out. I thought it was a fluke that the very bottom carpet was always damp. I looked all over the rear hatch thinking it would come from there (above). Alas, it seems the small quarter glass in the rear sides had a tiny leak and it flowed directly into my trunk. SC replaced the glass and seal, and my trunk has been dry ever since (e.g. 1+ yr). Have the SC investigate that area and make them run the shower test. Good luck!

I had this issue and it took about 4 days for tesla SC to figure it out. I thought it was a fluke that the very bottom carpet was always damp. I looked all over the rear hatch thinking it would come from there (above). Alas, it seems the small quarter glass in the rear sides had a tiny leak and it flowed directly into my trunk. SC replaced the glass and seal, and my trunk has been dry ever since (e.g. 1+ yr). Have the SC investigate that area and make them run the shower test. Good luck!

Thank you for posting that, I have just checked my boot again, after I previously fixed the HVAC vent issue, and I also have a leak from the right side rear quarter glass! Water pours in when the rear quarter glass is sprayed with water from a hose.