Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water leak thru windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, when i wash the car in driveway with hose on "shower" dispersal i see some condensation? in the window between the rubber seal and glass. Attached are pictures. Maybe its normal, I don't know. The heat isn't on inside the car. My car was sitting in my enclosed garage for about 5 hours. I simply backed it up into the driveway to assess whether there is an issue or not.

Anyone experience the same? I don't see water inside, dripping anywhere. I'm prob going to take it through a car wash - I've read that we are not supposed to, so IDK - But I assume that would be a better test

Attachments

• IMG_5224.jpg
    IMG_5224.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5225.jpg
    IMG_5225.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_5226.jpg
    IMG_5226.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
I get a bit of condensation between the glass and the rubber seals on all 4 of my 2020 M3's doors. But I never get any seepage into the car itself. I get this condensation when I wash the car in my driveway or if I. take it to a car wash. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I use contact-less car washes because I don't want scratches from the brushes or sponges in a regular car wash. I would do the same with any car, not just a Tesla, especially here in the northeast where cars get covered in road salt, sand and grit in the winter time. That dirt will transfer to the brushes or sponges in a regular car wash and could potentially scratch the finish of any car.

Reactions: butterfly27
Hi, when i wash the car in driveway with hose on "shower" dispersal i see some condensation? in the window between the rubber seal and glass. Attached are pictures. Maybe its normal, I don't know. The heat isn't on inside the car. My car was sitting in my enclosed garage for about 5 hours. I simply backed it up into the driveway to assess whether there is an issue or not.

Anyone experience the same? I don't see water inside, dripping anywhere. I'm prob going to take it through a car wash - I've read that we are not supposed to, so IDK - But I assume that would be a better test
I noticed this same issue when washing today. I even noticed some suds. I just bought my Tesla so I can’t claim to be an expert but this does not seem within spec.

Tesla's weatherstripping has a much harder "plasticky" surface than many other cars and therefore doesn't seal as well. This may have been done for noise, cost, environmental, or durability reasons. A little bit of partial leakage is normal and harmless. A significant leak may help to identify the source of wind noise.

FWIW my Lexus has gorgeous supple silky weatherstripping that seals perfectly and elegantly, but it squeaks and chirps if it's too clean or too dirty or has been cleaned with the wrong cleaner. You win some, you lose some.

Mine has condensation too near the seal after a car wash, it's normal AFAIK. If it actually does leak water (instead of condensation), it is probably because the seal is dirty (I had this on one door and after cleaning the seal it is fine).