Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Leaked Behind Center Brake Light During Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my vehicle tinted (it looks great) but I noticed some water leaked behind the back center brake light.

They said it would dry and go away...but it appears one area stayed present.

I attached a picture. Should I try and dry this or should I ask the service center when I go to get something else fixed that they’re doing for me? If it’s easy to get to, I don’t mind doing it myself. I just need to know how to get in there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 058155CE-65DB-4DC8-B9E2-E86870FF8DE9.jpeg
    058155CE-65DB-4DC8-B9E2-E86870FF8DE9.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 639
Well, today was a crapshoot.

I thought I’d try to get back there and while removing the side pillar of the seat, I busted the plastic part...completely freaked out and he service center said I could bring it it.

They said it was like $500 to fix but would do it for free as a customer service thing.

After they “fixed” it I noticed a rubber seal on the inside of the back window above the light (first picture). Not only that, but after they removed the water they got a chunk of rubber or sealer trapped back there (second picture).

Should I have them fix his as it’s almost worse now than before the water damage?

Attachments

• EEFAAE5F-454F-427A-9E0E-0D80B7E23574.jpeg
    EEFAAE5F-454F-427A-9E0E-0D80B7E23574.jpeg
    911.3 KB · Views: 476
  • BA3FF110-CA4C-47DE-918E-CF2DCCEB0BEB.jpeg
    BA3FF110-CA4C-47DE-918E-CF2DCCEB0BEB.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 486
Reviving this thread. Had my rear window tinted today -- horrible job by the way -- and of course they drop a not of water into the third brake light area leaving lots of dry water spots. Has anyone tried simply removing the 4 clips on the parcel shelf -- the clips that are right behind the tops of the back seats and seeing if the parcel shelf will move forward even just 1/8 of inch?

This could allow enough room to slip a very thin spatula with a thin cleaning cloth into the third brake light area -- without risk of damaging the foam seal around the light -- to clean that glass without having to take so much apart.

Just massively frustrated I even bothered with the rear glass tint. I went to a very reputable shop and the rear tint job is just horrible, and they didn't use any towels on the parcel shelf. I had a puddle of water in the trunk after the job and I just wonder where else that water went. The tops of the rear speak grills were also quite wet. Just bizarre they don't use a large towel to catch all the water.

Sadly same issue after tint. Dried to yellow streaks though at least the tint is good.

The best way to clean it is to take it apart and clean it.

It's a BITCH to take apart since the entire rear of the car basically has to come apart to get there.
I actually ordered a whole new set of Light Harmonic speakers so when I take it apart I'll upgrade the speakers there too.

To do it, use this incredibly detailed step-by-step video. Skip to the part where he installs the rear dash speakers.
You don't really need any special tools either. Just an afternoon and some patience :)

Reviving this thread. Had my rear window tinted today -- horrible job by the way -- and of course they drop a not of water into the third brake light area leaving lots of dry water spots. Has anyone tried simply removing the 4 clips on the parcel shelf -- the clips that are right behind the tops of the back seats and seeing if the parcel shelf will move forward even just 1/8 of inch?

This could allow enough room to slip a very thin spatula with a thin cleaning cloth into the third brake light area -- without risk of damaging the foam seal around the light -- to clean that glass without having to take so much apart.

Just massively frustrated I even bothered with the rear glass tint. I went to a very reputable shop and the rear tint job is just horrible, and they didn't use any towels on the parcel shelf. I had a puddle of water in the trunk after the job and I just wonder where else that water went. The tops of the rear speak grills were also quite wet. Just bizarre they don't use a large towel to catch all the water.
Got this same issue around my brake light, did you ever find a fix to getting in there?