Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water (?) marks on alloys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Has anyone had any rectification work done on alloys by Tesla?

I spotted these spots on one of my alloys this morning. They look like water spots, except they're not. They don't catch the fingernail, which makes me think they're underneath the lacquer? At the same time I had the car fully detailed just after I bought it (before I'd driven anywhere) and spoke to the detailer earlier and he confirmed that he would've seen something like that and told me about it.

So it seems I've picked it up from somewhere.. except I've only driven the car ~150 miles, including to and from Tesla Bristol to get some other rectification work done at the start of May...

So... I'm wondering what the hell it is and where it has come from... it sortof looks like some kind of corrosive liquid has touched it.

Thoughts?

What likelihood is there do you think that Tesla would resolve this for me under warranty? Are they likely to just say that they think I did something?

Am I being too OCD, and should just wait to get them refurbed at some point in the future?

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

I've used a foam cleaner that I used to remove the white sticker glue residue from the door card, and it hasn't made any difference. :(

They do look like water spots, but you can't "feel" them when you run your finger over the alloy, which makes me think they're underneath the lacquer. The white edge does not catch the fingernail at all.

Might be worth a bash with vinegar as it always seems to be recommended for water spots, if no joy then it can't hurt to rase to Tesla.

The very hard to remove water marks I've got / had have had no discernible raised texture either tbh

Reactions: Durzel
Cheers. Have spoke to Tesla and they've suggested booking in a service appointment, but to do it for some date in the future as the alloy team aren't currently working. As long as I log it I suppose at least its in the system.

Thanks for your help :)

If its got ceramic coating over the wheel you can put some fairly harsh stuff on them. Try descaler/vinegar as said it should disappear in seconds if it is water spot. I think Tesla have some disclaimer if any paint protection has been applied so expect the worst! Also your detailer may "demonstrate" one of his cleaners.

Yup, it's been fully detailed including the wheels. What makes me think that it's something that's happened post-detail is that I can't believe the detailer wouldn't have noticed them, and he even told me as such when I queried it with him this morning. He pointed out some dust nibs under the paint in various places that are less obvious.

I had a crack with some polish after my detailer suggested it, and it hasn't removed them. If anything it's made it slightly worse by making the section i tested on shinier. :(

I'm going to quit while I'm behind. Have booked the car in for a service appointment in July. Hopefully they will be considerate given the car has only done 146 miles at the point I reported it.

IMG_3911.jpg