Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water marks on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_5577.jpeg
Hi Guys, does anyone having water marks on their brand new windshield? I got my M3 last week and there are water marks all over the glass( windshield, roof, door windows).
It’s mostly unnoticeable but become very noticeable when rain, fog etc apply. I tried windshield cleaner, rubbing alcohol but nothing helps, please see pictures. It becomes an driving issue

Attachments

• IMG_5578.jpeg
    IMG_5578.jpeg
    725.1 KB · Views: 105
Solution
I have this exact same issue. It's kinda the opposite of water spots - the glass is perfectly clean and clear when dry, but when wet it has all these spots which make it extremely difficult to see thru in the rain. I never noticed it when the car was new but my (Tesla) replacement windshield has it bad.

I did a quick rub down with Invisible Glass Stripper which seemed to help significantly. I can still see spots when washing the car but they are much milder and driving in the rain is now much safer. Someday I'll try another rub down (it's very quick and easy) but I have not yet been motivated to do so.
Most likely minerals/dirt baked onto the glass. There are glass polishes that will remove ‘em - requires elbow grease and patience. Or a smooth buffer set up. I hit my wind screens a few times a year with that stuff to keep the glass smooth and clear. I also usually apply a poly or “easy to apply” ceramic coating product right after to minimize how quickly things bake on again in the tropical sun of Hawaii.

-Paul

Upvote 0
Most likely minerals/dirt baked onto the glass. There are glass polishes that will remove ‘em - requires elbow grease and patience. Or a smooth buffer set up. I hit my wind screens a few times a year with that stuff to keep the glass smooth and clear. I also usually apply a poly or “easy to apply” ceramic coating product right after to minimize how quickly things bake on again in the tropical sun of Hawaii.

-Paul
Thanks Paul, is this something that Tesla owners experience often? When polishing the windshield do you lose a slight layer of glass?

Upvote 0
Thanks Paul, is this something that Tesla owners experience often? When polishing the windshield do you lose a slight layer of glass?
It all depends on where and how it’s parked. Not a problem in a place like so-cal where it rarely rains, and most cars are garaged overnight anyways. Only if it’s parked outside where the water is hard and a sprinkler system sprays the car glass, then the sun dries the droplets onto the glass. Up north where the sun isn’t as strong, it’s not going to be as much of a problem either. Regular consistent cleaning also helps heaps.

I do note that a poster above mentions that this is a factory defect. Not sure how much validity there is to that claim. I have no experience with the Model y.

-Paul

Upvote 0
I have this exact same issue. It's kinda the opposite of water spots - the glass is perfectly clean and clear when dry, but when wet it has all these spots which make it extremely difficult to see thru in the rain. I never noticed it when the car was new but my (Tesla) replacement windshield has it bad.

I did a quick rub down with Invisible Glass Stripper which seemed to help significantly. I can still see spots when washing the car but they are much milder and driving in the rain is now much safer. Someday I'll try another rub down (it's very quick and easy) but I have not yet been motivated to do so.

Upvote 1
Solution
If it’s hardly noticeable when dry, I’d probably leave it alone. But if you really want to put effort into it, try 0000 steel wool and glass cooktop cleaner.

If that doesn’t work, cerium oxide. If you go this route, cover the paint; it gets messy.

Upvote 0

clay bar it off
This is exactly what it is - the opposite of water spots. I started with Clay Bar and it took out some of the spots but not very powerful. Then the Glass Stripper really did the job! I was able to clean almost all of it with two applications! Finally I used some Rain-X repeller and everything seems pretty good now.
Thanks everyone for the help!

Reactions: canasion35
Upvote 0