Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water marks/stains on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've started noticing some water marks (?) or stains on my windshield. They appear to be on the exterior of the windshield and they're super visible when it's raining at night. When the wipers move over the windshield you can see the vertical stain/water marks show up and I have no idea how to remove them. I used a glass cleaner and gave the windshield a good scrub but the exact same marks still show up.

It's getting pretty problematic in heavy rain at night especiallyw there are street lights and other car headlights. The marks are super visible and actually hinder visibility.

I've attached a video, anyone have any tips on what I can do?

If they're hard water spotting like from water drying on your widnshield, then it contains some minerals and can be buffed out using a bit of distilled vinegar and any cloth like microfiber towel. Takes a bit of rubbing it off but give that a try today.

Next level is use a clay bar and lots of lubricant. And next level is run polish with a pad or towel.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy and dasn
Thank you! I tried the vinegar, it wasn't effective, but you pointed me in the right direction. I looked for a water spot remover and after applying that and scrubbing the windshield for 1.5 hours the marks were all gone.

Now I have a new problem, the water spot remover seems to have removed the water repellent coating on the glass and the water no longer beads. Any good recommendations on what to apply to get the coating back?

Thank you! I tried the vinegar, it wasn't effective, but you pointed me in the right direction. I looked for a water spot remover and after applying that and scrubbing the windshield for 1.5 hours the marks were all gone.

Now I have a new problem, the water spot remover seems to have removed the water repellent coating on the glass and the water no longer beads. Any good recommendations on what to apply to get the coating back?
You can use many types of products such as rain-x. Or if you have polish/wax or a hybrid sealant, can use that too.

For body/windows I usually use turtlewax seal n shine or turtlewax hybrid ceramic sealant. I hear meguiars hybrid ceramic wax spray is good too. Or just plant paste wax after decontaminating.

But make sure it's very clear before applying.

Thanks for all the replies I ended up applying Gtechniq's G1 ClearVision Smart Glass. I bought the 15 ml (small) one since I was only going to do the windshield, it comes with applicator pads in the box. Now water just beads up and immediately slides off the glass.

The wipers will chatter after you've applied the coating but after using the wipers several times the chattering has reduced significantly and I can see it eventually going away. I think its due to how hydrophobic the glass is now, the wipers are basically rubbing against dry glass. Overall am still pretty happy with the G1 coating.

Just adding this here in case anyone decides to use Gtechniq G1 on their windscreens. During the last step of the application process it recommends applying some to the wiper blade, do NOT do this.

I've discovered that doing so causes the wiper blades to chatter. I replaced my blades and they do not chatter at all now. The original blades, where I followed their instructions and applied the coating to the wiper blades, were still chattering after several months.

Reactions: HockeyRooster
The blades on my wife's Honda were chattering, despite the windshield being super clean. I also realized it was probably the blades. I cleaned the rubber blades with this product and the chattering went away completey:

McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator removes browning from tires

This product is one of the best tire cleaners on the market, so you can also use it to clean your tires before applying a dressing.