Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water on the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the water level appears to be rising on my favorite road between Crofton and Annapolis MD, I don't drive my Roadster on the road after heavy rain. I have a MS85 coming in six weeks ( or so….. Tesla time). Can I drive the MS thru water on the road that would reach the bottom of the car (battery). My ICE Honda plows thru water up to the bumper but the MS may not be able to do that. Regardless of what they say about Global Warming the water levels are rising and many Annapolis area roads are covered with water lately. What do you guys think???:confused:

Increase in water level on low lying roads in our area has been noticeable over the last 3 or 4 years. The highway people continue to repair (raise) the sections that flood but as they raise them they continue to flood at high tide and full moon regardless of recent rainfall. Arear around the Chesapeake that were wet lands are now standing water………. maybe its rainfall in Minnesota.

……and if I had a clue about MS and standing water I would not have ask for opinions from the Forum…... junior member.

I do thank you for your insight, however.

If it's tidal flow---that means salt water. I wouldn't drive any car that wasn't a rental through that let alone a Tesla MS or roadster. You are just asking for the ultimate in corrosion. Like the roadster, there is a lot of electrical and mechanical components that could be exposed to the salt. Please, no!

If it's tidal flow---that means salt water. I wouldn't drive any car that wasn't a rental through that let alone a Tesla MS or roadster. You are just asking for the ultimate in corrosion. Like the roadster, there is a lot of electrical and mechanical components that could be exposed to the salt. Please, no!

Excellent point..... Thank you.
I guess I was just wondering if that driving situation was considered when designing the MS.

Watch out for Safety-mode-when-driving-through-standing-water. Model S is designed to protect itself if it thinks it is submersing.

Here's some more interesting threads:

driving-thru-deep-water-puddle

Is-the-Model-S-water-tight

Warranty-(esp-driving-through-floods
)

Bad-experience-with-flood-waters

Don't forget the ability to raise car height; although you need to drive at slow speed to stop the car lowering again.

I wouldn't drive through saltwater at all; tidal water does not automatically equal high salinity btw.