Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water pours out of front after sitting in the rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was a fluke, but consistently, when I park with the rear of my MY on a slight incline in my driveway (so it can more easily access my charger), after a rainstorm, when I go to pull out of my driveway, for at least the first 30-40 feet, a significant amount of water pours out from below and behind the front bumper cover area.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? I've been looking under the front, and the only thing I can see as a possibility, is that the water is coming down through the frunk latch opening and building up in the bottom of the front bumper cover, where there is nowhere to drain?

Can you post a pic of where the water is coming from?

We had some rain a few weeks ago (rain = reduced traffic) so I went out and drove up and down the mountains a fair bit. My frunk is dry so there aren't any leaks.

I thought it was a fluke, but consistently, when I park with the rear of my MY on a slight incline in my driveway (so it can more easily access my charger), after a rainstorm, when I go to pull out of my driveway, for at least the first 30-40 feet, a significant amount of water pours out from below and behind the front bumper cover area.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? I've been looking under the front, and the only thing I can see as a possibility, is that the water is coming down through the frunk latch opening and building up in the bottom of the front bumper cover, where there is nowhere to drain?

Totally normal. It's the rain drain from the windshield.

So where is all the water being stored until I move the car? This morning, for example, it had been dry out since yesterday evening, but when I went to move the car, water came pouring out from underneath.

It is supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow, and then dry on Saturday, so I'll have my wife drive the car out of the driveway on Saturday and I'm going to record some video and take some pics from underneath.

I've noticed this on my Y. I first noticed it with washer fluid. I cleaned my windshield after I stopped the car at home, and the next morning I lost my mind thinking it was leaking coolant or something. Turns out the washer fluid pooled somewhere and drained out the bottom.

I washed my car yesterday. I didn't see water leaking out after moving it.

Car_wash_front_under.jpg

I have a similar issue with my new Model 3 - the car was parked on the driveway for a few days and we have a bout of rain (in UK), when I moved the car today, I noticed water gushing out from the 'REAR' of the car (see attached pic). My driveway is at an angle (the front being at a higher elevation than the rear) so wonder if this is purely down to the angle of the car when parked? Could it be a case of the water from the top of the car being routed through the side gutter sills (above the door's roof) and then getting collected at the rear (bottom) of the car? Do I need to stop parking the car at an angle like this when it rains as the water gets collected and I am not sure if it will cause any lasting damage if I continue as-is? Would appreciate some feedback
20210511_184136.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GreenT
@JayGoswami and @BreatheEasier I have the exact same issue as you have both described with our Model 3. We park on our drive with an incline (front at higher elevation) and water gushes out when we move the car after heavy rain.

Did you manage to resolve or fix this issue? Haven't tried parking the car the other way round - and don't particularly want to as it would mean reversing out of our driveway.