TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Water powered car

Discussion in 'Technical' started by dpeilow, Dec 16, 2008.

1. graham

graham Active Member

Interesting... but it has the sounds of snake oil. "It uses water, and a catalyst I won't tell you about..." I wonder if the catalyst is a 90 Amp electrical circuit?

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

This is months old, The car made it on the cable news networks. Complete with shots of filling the "box" with a glass of water. It had it's 15 minutes.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Yeah this is quite old. I think dpeilow picked it up because it was updated recently (don't know what they updated). It appears the car runs on something similar to metal hydrides, which react with water to create hydrogen and it then uses the hydrogen like a normal fuel cell vehicle would.

The energy comes from making the metal hydride and that's quite energy intensive. After you used it up you would have to refill, but they didn't mention that of course.

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

My car is water powered. And yours probably is, too, if you drive an EV in Washington State. I live in Spokane, where my local electric utility gets its power from the Bonneville dam. I.e. water that falls from the sky and winds up turning the turbines at the dam. My little three-legged clown car (Zap Xebra SD all electric) runs on the water that flows through the Bonneville dam. I know of a few other Xebras and Zenns in WA, and I gather there are some Roadsters in the state as well. The car in the cited article is a scam, and "water for gas" is a scam, but water-powered cars are real, if you live where there's hydro power. :biggrin: