TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Water settling in door after rain

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dendenyc, Aug 20, 2018.

1. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

Its been raining in NY on and off all summer and I've noticed that after it rains, I wake up the next morning open the rear driver side door and a pool of water dumps out on the floor. The inside of the car doesn't appear wet or even humid and as far as I can tell it only seem to be occurring on the driver side rear door which tells me there could be some type of alignment / gasket issue. The amount of water it collects is also pretty significant I'd say its about the quantity of a can of soda. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Helpful x 1
  2. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

If you do a search of the forum there have been some other posts about water collecting in places in the car, so you can see if anyone else has experienced the exact issue you're describing.

When you say "floor" do you mean the actual footwell in the rear passenger area or somewhere else?

In cases like this it's always helpful to share photos.

Definitely if water is collecting anywhere inside the car it would be a problem that needs immediate attention. It could be a problem with a door seal, a gasket, or even the water channels that take the water from the gaskets and evacuate it from the vehicle.

3. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

To clarify, no...there's no water inside the cabin of the car. I suspect the water settles between the closed door and the door sill. As I said as soon as I open the door the water spills out on the floor (as in the ground outside the car) so there is not much to see from photos.

4. voip-ninja

That may or may not be normal depending on how the gutter system of the car is designed.

5. scottysize

scottysize Member

No drip edge.

• Informative x 1
  6. scottysize

scottysize Member

Stick around until the end. You'll see the Model S does the exact same thing.

7. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

What is this "water from the sky" you speak of?

But yeah, water management can be a PITA for most cars. I'll keep an eye out for what the OP was talking about, when it rains here in the next 10 years or so.

• Funny x 1
  8. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

hmmm, not quite the same issue but it could be related because once you open the door the window slides down a bit. Im gonna have to do some simulation testing to see where the water is coming in from.

9. dixosw

dixosw Member

Yes, I think I noticed the same thing once. Rains a lot in Florida. Car was outside. Driver and passenger door opened without any drama. Kid opened the rear door on the driver's side and there was a gush of water from the bottom of the door, exactly as you described. Like, between the bottom of the door and the sill, but the inside was dry. I didn't think much of it at the time and thought it might be some fluke, but now I'm thinking there is more to it. Will watch out for it from now on and follow up.

10. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

#10 ChrisH, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Exactly. These cars were made in CA for people who don’t have these problems haha. Unfortunately it doesn’t translate well to the rest of us.

• Funny x 1
  11. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

Lol agreed, we don't have to deal with rain for "awhile" but hopefully this issue can be resolved by Tesla soon if more people report the issue.

12. dixosw

dixosw Member

Yeah, I wish Tesla would test their automatic wipers in Florida instead of in the state where it almost never rains, haha. They aren't quite yet up the standards of other auto makers in that regard, but I know they'll get there eventually and the inconsistent auto-wipers are a small price to pay for all the other awesome-ness that is Tesla.

13. strava

strava Member

I experienced this issue once in NJ and reported it to Tesla. In my last SC visit, I discussed the issue with the SC technician and he said that it was normal as long as there was no water into the cabin.

It rained a lot last week in NJ and the issue didn't recur. So it just happens with a very heavy rain in my case.

• Like x 1
  14. voip-ninja

Pure speculation on my part but this could be caused by the rate of water entering the gutter system exceeding the capacity and overflowing into the area around the door until it ultimately pools at the bottom of the door.

If that were the problem it could be fixed by Tesla redesigning the gutter system but might not be a TSB that could be applied to the current build cars.