Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water settling in door after rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its been raining in NY on and off all summer and I've noticed that after it rains, I wake up the next morning open the rear driver side door and a pool of water dumps out on the floor. The inside of the car doesn't appear wet or even humid and as far as I can tell it only seem to be occurring on the driver side rear door which tells me there could be some type of alignment / gasket issue. The amount of water it collects is also pretty significant I'd say its about the quantity of a can of soda. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Helpful
Reactions: strava
Its been raining in NY on and off all summer and I've noticed that after it rains, I wake up the next morning open the rear driver side door and a pool of water dumps out on the floor. The inside of the car doesn't appear wet or even humid and as far as I can tell it only seem to be occurring on the driver side rear door which tells me there could be some type of alignment / gasket issue. The amount of water it collects is also pretty significant I'd say its about the quantity of a can of soda. Has anyone else experienced this?

If you do a search of the forum there have been some other posts about water collecting in places in the car, so you can see if anyone else has experienced the exact issue you're describing.

When you say "floor" do you mean the actual footwell in the rear passenger area or somewhere else?

In cases like this it's always helpful to share photos.

Definitely if water is collecting anywhere inside the car it would be a problem that needs immediate attention. It could be a problem with a door seal, a gasket, or even the water channels that take the water from the gaskets and evacuate it from the vehicle.

When you say "floor" do you mean the actual footwell in the rear passenger area or somewhere else?

To clarify, no...there's no water inside the cabin of the car. I suspect the water settles between the closed door and the door sill. As I said as soon as I open the door the water spills out on the floor (as in the ground outside the car) so there is not much to see from photos.

To clarify, no...there's no water inside the cabin of the car. I suspect the water settles between the closed door and the door sill. As I said as soon as I open the door the water spills out on the floor (as in the ground outside the car) so there is not much to see from photos.

That may or may not be normal depending on how the gutter system of the car is designed.

Yes, I think I noticed the same thing once. Rains a lot in Florida. Car was outside. Driver and passenger door opened without any drama. Kid opened the rear door on the driver's side and there was a gush of water from the bottom of the door, exactly as you described. Like, between the bottom of the door and the sill, but the inside was dry. I didn't think much of it at the time and thought it might be some fluke, but now I'm thinking there is more to it. Will watch out for it from now on and follow up.

What is this "water from the sky" you speak of?

But yeah, water management can be a PITA for most cars. I'll keep an eye out for what the OP was talking about, when it rains here in the next 10 years or so.

Exactly. These cars were made in CA for people who don’t have these problems haha. Unfortunately it doesn’t translate well to the rest of us.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dendenyc
Exactly. These cars were made in CA for people who don’t have these problems haha. Unfortunately it doesn’t translate well to the rest of us.

Yeah, I wish Tesla would test their automatic wipers in Florida instead of in the state where it almost never rains, haha. They aren't quite yet up the standards of other auto makers in that regard, but I know they'll get there eventually and the inconsistent auto-wipers are a small price to pay for all the other awesome-ness that is Tesla.

I experienced this issue once in NJ and reported it to Tesla. In my last SC visit, I discussed the issue with the SC technician and he said that it was normal as long as there was no water into the cabin.

It rained a lot last week in NJ and the issue didn't recur. So it just happens with a very heavy rain in my case.

Reactions: dixosw
Pure speculation on my part but this could be caused by the rate of water entering the gutter system exceeding the capacity and overflowing into the area around the door until it ultimately pools at the bottom of the door.

If that were the problem it could be fixed by Tesla redesigning the gutter system but might not be a TSB that could be applied to the current build cars.

I had water build up that dumped out on 3 of the 4 doors. My seals were falling off anyway so I had Tesla mobile fix them all. They were barely sealed with just a tiny square of 3M tape spaced very far apart, over 12 inches.

So check the door seals, if you see gaps forming take pictures and put in a service request.

I talked with the technician and he said issues arise from the seals coming off (my issue) or the holes in the seal not lining up with door holes. I think this could also have been part of my issue because the seals were in a different place after he finished the work.

I had water build up that dumped out on 3 of the 4 doors. My seals were falling off anyway so I had Tesla mobile fix them all. They were barely sealed with just a tiny square of 3M tape spaced very far apart, over 12 inches.

So check the door seals, if you see gaps forming take pictures and put in a service request.

I talked with the technician and he said issues arise from the seals coming off (my issue) or the holes in the seal not lining up with door holes. I think this could also have been part of my issue because the seals were in a different place after he finished the work.

Do you have a picture about which part of the door seals?
Thanks!

825A75E1-016B-48A3-8A91-6202779AA783.jpeg
Do you have a picture about which part of the door seals?
Thanks!

Mine had this throughout all door seals.