Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Stain on Headliner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some heavy rains last week my 2014 Model S with solid roof developed a nasty large stain on the headliner. I contacted North Houston service and they reviewed the photos and are going to replace the seals and try to clean the stain as best they can for the bargain basement price of $1100. I'm at 54,000 miles so out of base warranty and didn't feel like the nearly $5000 for extended would be worth it but that may end up being an error who knows.

I searched and did not find any similar topics. I'm just curious as to whether others have had good outcomes with this type of repair. It has me bummed out it is the first issue I've had since some early build issues in the first 10,000 miles.

I'll try to post an image from my google pics. I tried to upload but it is too large.
20170414_160543.jpg

open

That happened in my Toyota 4Runner, but THAT car was about 10 years old and had about 150,000 miles on it. The windshield had to be pulled out and reseated, after cleaning the metal and putting is a new seal. But with the rust, they would not guarantee no further or eventual leaking. Fortunately, it never leaked again.

We went with a pano roof and are hoping we don't have any water issues down the road. Would not have expected it with a solid roof. I would be a bit concerned with the LED light being right there and hidden wiring in that area. Might ask them about that and how it can be protected from rust. Glad you saw it before it got worse but also possible I suppose that the roof could have had a small leak prior that you didn't see. Will they open up the headliner or is it glued into place?

Sorry for your bad luck on timing. Good luck with the repair and let us know how you make out.

After some heavy rains last week my 2014 Model S with solid roof developed a nasty large stain on the headliner. I contacted North Houston service and they reviewed the photos and are going to replace the seals and try to clean the stain as best they can for the bargain basement price of $1100. I'm at 54,000 miles so out of base warranty and didn't feel like the nearly $5000 for extended would be worth it but that may end up being an error who knows.

I searched and did not find any similar topics. I'm just curious as to whether others have had good outcomes with this type of repair. It has me bummed out it is the first issue I've had since some early build issues in the first 10,000 miles.

I'll try to post an image from my google pics. I tried to upload but it is too large.
20170414_160543.jpg

open

You may be over the miles part of the warranty (barely) but you are within the time frame. Tesla should goodwill the repair and not charge you. Is the solid roof a "wear" item?

I don't see how this can be anything but a manufacturing problem and something Tesla should cover.

Keep us posted.

You may be over the miles part of the warranty (barely) but you are within the time frame. Tesla should goodwill the repair and not charge you. Is the solid roof a "wear" item?

I don't see how this can be anything but a manufacturing problem and something Tesla should cover.

Keep us posted.
That would be wonderful but I highly doubt it. Worth a try though I'll try to argue with the service center (North Houston) once they get the parts and I drive in for the actual repair.

Well my Niko is at the shop today and I haven't heard from them yet. I did email service but they basically said.. NOPE.

Will update when I can about the final cost and outcome. I do have a nice 2014 p85 loaner that is nicer than mine so not really complaining too much.

Well my Niko is at the shop today and I haven't heard from them yet. I did email service but they basically said.. NOPE.

Will update when I can about the final cost and outcome. I do have a nice 2014 p85 loaner that is nicer than mine so not really complaining too much.

Sorry to hear that, since you're only 4,000 miles over the mileage limit, and one year under, one would think Tesla would goodwill it.

One of the advantages of having an independent dealer instead of a manufacturer owned repair shop is a dealer would likely advocate for you and get the manufacturer to goodwill something like this. I can't believe that this wasn't a manufacturing defect of some kind and not a wear and tear issue.

The North Houston service center completed my repair yesterday. It came a bit under the quote at $921.20. They were able to clean the headliner so you can barely see the remnant of a stain. They basically had to replace the entire chrome piece that runs along the roof on the driver side and reseal it. I was happy to see they also did the typical clean and detail as well as inspection and system upgrades for no additional charge even when out of warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
I'm surprised that they didn't goodwill this... the car isn't that old and you didn't do anything to cause this. I would expect this from any car less than 10 years old.

Yea, I'm extremely surprised too, especially when he specifically asked them to.

The defect had to have been there within the 50,000 miles / 4 years warranty, it just didn't reveal itself until 54,000 miles / 3 years.

Reactions: KidDoc