Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Swirls on Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jenlinking

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2019
Carlsbad, CA USA
Wanted to share this in case anybody else has had a similar experience. If you have water “swirls” or stain marks on your paint (our M3+ came with these - so generous of Telsa) - the issue may be on the paint, not in the paint. Our swirls would not wash off - thought they were in top coat based on remarks from some in a M3 FB forum. Opened a ticket with Tesla but they closed saying to take it in for a detail (not sure why we have to pay for this when Tesla should have delivered a car minus water stains..). At any rate, took it in for a detail (which cost us $110) and they were able to buff the spots out. Detail shop told us they were all over the car and were raised spots that looked to be from non-potable water (so likely raised part was manure residue...nice.). I will be submitting the bill to Tesla for reimbursement. Will see what happens. View media item 120880After View media item 120881 Before

Last edited:
I'm assuming (hope!) you reversed the "before" and "after" labels.

I also assume you didn't wash the car before the you observed the water marks. I see two kinds: water drying rings, and actual swirls. I would have assumed the drying rings would go away with an appropriate detergent washing. The swirls might be caused by very fine grit in a drying cloth used to dry the car after wash. Drying with a just-washed, never-used-after wash soft cloth is essential to avoid the swirls, I've found.

Yes, pics were reversed - changed them once already and looked correct then all of a sudden reversed again! Car looked like this when we picked up from service center. Are you saying the SC used a cloth with very fine grit? The detail shops theory of standing water (spots looked ‘etched’ into the paint) was what caused. Like I said, the person at the detail shop said they were raised up spots so there had been deposits from something. Regardless, good to know they can be buffed out.

• Love
Reactions: Halcyon88
Water spots are just minerals left behind after water evaporates. Fairly easy to polish and remove for any half way skilled detailer. Im not sure where they got the (manure residue) diagnosis. That can happen from sprinklers, rain, etc basically any water that sits on your car.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Hard water mineral spots can occur when the vehicle is in transit from Fremont to you. What was your build date, and how long before you got it? It's a shame that there appears to be some micro scratches, but the detailer is the right person to buff that out.

Look into your kettle, you’ll probably see the same mineral deposits
My sister Acura has these dried up hard water rings. Couldn’t clean them off with soap and water. Gave up.
went to those automatic car wash during winter and they are all gone. Those car wash probably have harsher detergents.