TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Water Transfer Printing!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Bulletproof, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    #1 Bulletproof, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Not sure if this has been shared before but I thought it was pretty cool!

What do you guys think? Yay or Nay?

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

It is interesting technology. I wonder if it lasts.

3. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

I'm sure it would last on interior pieces but it would be interesting to see how long it would last on wheels and other parts exposed to the elements

4. musicious

musicious Member

That is so cool, any info on the cost and durability on wheels?

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I've seen this used on motorcycle helmets and such that see outdoor use and they cover this paint with a clear coat to protect it.

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

That makes sense, thanks.

7. deadaster

deadaster New Member

This is hydrographic - few years old technology, easy to apply but wasn't cheap to but patterns, I'm not sure what the price is now for patterns but everybody can do it at home. As I know it is much better then plasti dip - stronger but some people add on exterior stuff clear coat (spray or vinyl) to be sure of good protection.

8. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Explanation of the process from Wikipedia

The water transfer printing process is extensively used to decorate items that range from entire all-terrain vehicles and car dashboards, to small items like bike helmets or other automotive trim. Films can be applied to all types of substrates including plastic, fiberglass, wood, ceramics, and metal.

For the most part, if the item can be dipped in water and can be painted using traditional techniques then the hydrographic printing process can be used.

In the process, the substrate piece to be printed is pre-treated and a base coat material is applied. A polyvinyl alcohol film is gravure-printed with the graphic image to be transferred, and is then floated on the surface of a vat of water.

An activator chemical is sprayed on the film to dissolve it into a liquid and activate a bonding agent.The piece is then lowered into the vat through the floating ink layer.

The ink layer along with the polyvinyl alcohol backing then wraps around and adheres to the item. The adhesion is a result of the chemical components of the activator softening the base coat layer and allowing the ink to form a bond with it.

One of the most common causes of a failure to achieve adhesion between the two layers is a poorly applied activator. This can be either too much activator being applied or too little.

9. Vince Cobelo

Vince Cobelo Member

Ok...has anyone done this to a Tesla with stock wheels?

I was thinking about going to aftermarket wheels but then got to thinking what do I do with the old ones. They aren't worth much. So...why not give this a try? Would need to find someone that does this sorta thing but there isn't much to lose and I can get more creative. I have done hydro dipping on small parts for my jetskis at home and it works great. I don't think I could do it with something as large as wheels (my wife would freak if I used the bathtub).