Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water under car, overnight in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I had the car in our garage for the first time, and this morning there was a puddle under the front right quadrant - maybe under where the passenger's feet would be.

I'm chalking it up to condensation from the air conditioner - but why the heck is it on?

I do have smart precondition and cabin protection turned on, but it's in a 68 degree garage, overnight (probably cooler), so why is that even running?

I was suspicious about it last night when I went in to get something from the garage around 10 PM, when it was probably 70 degrees, and the car was humming....doing...something. It basically sounded like the A/C, so my hunch is that it's all to do with that system.

I just don't understand why, is all...

We have a coating on our garage floor that doesn't absorb water under our two Model S.

If it's been raining, we'll usually see puddles underneath and behind both cars - that can take a while (a day or longer) to evaporate.

Didn't see this when we had an ICE in the garage - possibly because the ICE is warmer, causing the water left from the rain to evaporate faster.

Can't recall seeing water on the floor with our cars, if it hasn't been raining.

LOL @Ormond - it's not just Elon, I bet. :)

Thanks all - I'll turn off preconditioning. (Other things I've read hint that it may not be all that helpful anyway.)

It wasn't charging, hadn't rained, and I didn't wash it, so it's gotta be the battery HVAC. I'll chalk 'em up to normal and ignore them.

My Volvo used to do this years ago. Tiny little drain lines from the sunroof would sometimes get air bubbles or gunk in them and drain a bunch of water onto the garage floor only several hours after a rainy drive.

Eventually I learned that -- on that Volvo -- this was a sign those drains needed to be cleaned out, because eventually they'd leak at the top nipple and let water into the car giving me wet carpets.