TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Water under car, overnight in garage

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GameMaker, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GameMaker

GameMaker Member

Last night I had the car in our garage for the first time, and this morning there was a puddle under the front right quadrant - maybe under where the passenger's feet would be.

I'm chalking it up to condensation from the air conditioner - but why the heck is it on?

I do have smart precondition and cabin protection turned on, but it's in a 68 degree garage, overnight (probably cooler), so why is that even running?

I was suspicious about it last night when I went in to get something from the garage around 10 PM, when it was probably 70 degrees, and the car was humming....doing...something. It basically sounded like the A/C, so my hunch is that it's all to do with that system.

I just don't understand why, is all...

2. azred

azred Member

This is normal for my S. I think the car may cool itself during charging even if the outside temp is only 68. Also, if you have preconditioning on, I’d turn it off.

3. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We have a coating on our garage floor that doesn't absorb water under our two Model S.

If it's been raining, we'll usually see puddles underneath and behind both cars - that can take a while (a day or longer) to evaporate.

Didn't see this when we had an ICE in the garage - possibly because the ICE is warmer, causing the water left from the rain to evaporate faster.

Can't recall seeing water on the floor with our cars, if it hasn't been raining.

4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

The battery HVAC can run anytime, puddles are normal.

• Informative x 1
  5. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

I've always wondered about the mystery puddles, too, but they appear to be "normal".
    Also, after it rains or you wash the car, you'll see runoff puddles for longer than you might think.
    Just more endearing little Tesla quirks :)

6. Ormond

Ormond Member

My mom told me that the puddles represent Elon's tears due to the price fluctuations in Tesla stock prices--when it's up, the puddles are tears of joy and when the price goes down the puddles represent tears of sadness.

I'm not sure if I believe my mom's explanation or @SabrToothSqrl :oops:

7. GameMaker

GameMaker Member

LOL @Ormond - it's not just Elon, I bet. :)

Thanks all - I'll turn off preconditioning. (Other things I've read hint that it may not be all that helpful anyway.)

It wasn't charging, hadn't rained, and I didn't wash it, so it's gotta be the battery HVAC. I'll chalk 'em up to normal and ignore them.

8. Ormond

Ormond Member

Elon probably gets more upset with production problems and Los Angeles traffic jams.

9. tls

tls Member

My Volvo used to do this years ago. Tiny little drain lines from the sunroof would sometimes get air bubbles or gunk in them and drain a bunch of water onto the garage floor only several hours after a rainy drive.

Eventually I learned that -- on that Volvo -- this was a sign those drains needed to be cleaned out, because eventually they'd leak at the top nipple and let water into the car giving me wet carpets.