TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Water under the Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by minsup23, Aug 16, 2018.

1. minsup23

minsup23 Member

I was doing some cleaning and applying the center console wrap in my Model 3 today. I got hot and I did put the A/C on 1 despite the video saying not to, but I gave in. I noticed a huge amount of water coming from the bottom of the car and into my driveway as seen below

IMG_0083.jpeg

I took a picture of below the car as well:
    IMG_0084.jpeg

Here are two videos as well to see the water or whatever liquid dripping under the car:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6daJDiU55pmdcUGY6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/HAocr4udQWGRYpuUA

I want to say this is A/C condensation, but want to make sure this is what is going on. Appreciate help and advice. I will hopefully be contacted by my SC soon to get some paint fixes and they can look at it as well. Just wanted to make sure it's nothing crazy or scary.

2. streetskooler

streetskooler Member

Hey that happens to mine too. I think it’s just the compressor from the A/C. Happens on almost all cars I’ve noticed but def seems to happen a lot with the model 3. I wouldn’t be too concerned

3. tccartier

tccartier Member

That's been happening since cars have had air conditioning. Every other car you have had has done it too. It's the moisture in the air condensing out as it passes over the cooling coils in the evaporator. It's allowed to drain out.
    Same reason why a cold drink will sweat.

• Like x 2
  4. minsup23

minsup23 Member

Okay, it should seemed like a lot for low AC and have not noticed this with my Honda Accord or Honda Pilot. I was maybe outside for an hour?

5. tccartier

tccartier Member

#5 tccartier, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    You probably didn't sit and idle your Honda Pilot or Honda Accord with the air conditioning on for an hour letting the gas engine run very often.

Also the amount of drainage is directly related to the amount of moisture in the air. days with higher humidity would produce more condensate than days with much lower humidity.

Enjoy your Model 3!

6. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

If it was transmission fluid I'd be worried

• Funny x 2
  7. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

This is what happens when you don't potty train your Model 3 before you bring it home from the Service Center...

Kidding aside, like everyone mentioned above, I'm 99% sure it's water from the AC compressor.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Maybe he saw a pic of my model 3?

jk its normal

Attached Files:

9. minsup23

minsup23 Member

Oh man! Totally makes sense...never idled in the above cars at all.

10. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Its in the manual, Page 93
    It is normal for a small pool of water to form under Model 3 when parked. Extra water produced by the dehumidifying process is drained underneath.

11. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

What video says not to turn on AC? o_O

The condensation is a lot more than ICE ... for good reason.

12. minsup23

minsup23 Member

:confused: I’m not good with emojis. Thank you all!

• Like x 2
  13. TT97

TT97 Active Member

The instructional videos for installing center console wraps typically recommend turning off the fans so as to not interfere with the installation (nothing to do with standard operation of the car).

• Informative x 1
  14. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

>99% guess it's AC condensation, completely normal

15. ibdb

ibdb Any excuse for a road trip

You'll probably notice more water under/around your car in the garage after it rains, too. Lacking an ICE, there's no excess heat that helps to dry up some of the moisture commonly found around your car, whether from the A/C or the weather.

• Like x 1