TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Waterloo Charging Station Launch

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mknox, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Couple of photos of the Waterloo Charging Station opening this evening. Met a number of new owners in the Region along with some potential owners taking test drives. Tesla had three test drive vehicles giving test drives.

IMG_0434.JPG IMG_0433.JPG

2. TSLARLTR

TSLARLTR Member

Thanks for posting these :)
    Guess I'll be using one of these next time I come to see my daughter @ uWaterloo!

3. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

The chargers will come in handy when we do our winter road trips to Waterloo.
    Nice seeing a Smart ED (in kinetic green no less) with those Tesla's, reminds me of my garage. ;-)

4. AndrewKo

AndrewKo Member

These are super chargers that are installed correct?

5. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

doesn't look like it.

Superchargers are big and you can tell the difference. Probably HPWC @ 80amp hopefully.

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

No, they're Tesla destination HWPC's...hopefully 80 amp Level II's

The closest Supercharger would be Woodstock...

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Correct. And there was only 1 HPWC and 1 (looks like) 30 amp J1772 at that site. I was kind of expecting a bank of HPWCs considering the big deal Tesla made of this event. I couldn't tell at what power level the HPWC was configured.

8. AndrewKo

AndrewKo Member

How long does a HPWC typically take to charge? I may need to go to Waterloo/London in the near future and never used a HPWC before.

9. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Thanks for the clarification on the number of charging stations Mike! From the pictures, I could only see the 1 HWPC.

@Andrew, if the HWPC is a full 100 amp install (thus delivering 80 amps), then a full charge in an 85 kwh battery would be between 5-6 hours.

To get a faster charge, you would need to go to a Level III charger (Tesla Supercharger or a ChadeMo).

Depending on the nature of your trip to London / Waterloo (i.e. are you staying overnight and charging), it probably would be easier / faster for you to use the Woodstock Supercharger.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, that would be contingent upon having the dual charger option in your Model S. As a rule of thumb, I find that at 80 amps, I can get a 10% increase in my SOC each 1/2 hour with my dual charger-equipped car.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether this particular HPWC is configured for the full 80 amps that it is capable of. I'm starting to see many others that are set to deliver 40 amps, and in some cases, less.

Downtown Waterloo to Woodstock is about an hour's drive (+/- 60 km) so it's a bit out of your way if you're going from, say Toronto to Waterloo. It is right on the way to London, though.

I find that PlugShare is an excellent app for finding charging stations. There are quite a number in the Waterloo Region. And they do have a Tesla-specific version that works quite well in the Model S browser.

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Thanks again for the clarification about twin chargers Mike...driving electric for almost 5 years now...simply can't imagine anyone up here not ordering twin chargers (due to a lesser number of Super Chargers and a robust Level II charging network in Canada)...:wink:

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree, but it seems even Tesla is de-emphasizing dual chargers. It's no longer a "factory" option and you would have to know to ask for it from a Service Center. It seems like Tesla is emphasizing Superchargers for "on the road" charging and are pushing Destination Chargers for stops where you are staying somewhere. And if, for instance, you're staying over at a hotel, a 40 amp charger with a single charger-equipped car is all you really need.

But again, I agree. I can't take advantage of them at home, but the dual chargers are well worth it to me in my travels.

13. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

Seems like a big fuss for one HPWC that may not even be operating at full amperage.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There were a couple of things "odd" about it. The Tesla copy (linked to in my first post) says it is the Region's first Destination charger. It isn't. There is at least one other with the identical paired HPWC/J1772 setup that I am aware of. I was expecting maybe a bank of chargers. I think it was really more about the test drives. They had the red carpet out (literally) and had three company cars taking people for test drives. It was, at the end of the day, a nice reception with food and lots of other Tesla owners to talk to. They apparently have had a lot of sales in the Region and there were quite a few folks there who were very recent purchasers.

15. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

Sounds like a Tesla event with a charger thrown in rather than a charger launch with Tesla on hand.

By the way, West Indian Trail is closed at the river, which makes no practical difference. (Had to throw that in.)

16. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Was the J1772 a Sun Country unit? I've seen several installations lately with a Sun Country unit next to a HPWC. Evidently there was some sort of arrangement in place - out this way at least. I gather that experiment is over with now though.

It sure would be nice if these stations were always 240 volt instead of 208... It knocks your charge rate back just enough to to make you sigh...!

17. sataponw

sataponw Member

From the last time that I see the picture, I think it was Sun Country. Sadly I couldn't join in the fun, my car is at the detailer and I am too ashamed to roll in with my ICE rental haha.

18. HAL8950

HAL8950 Member

Here are some shoots of the Chargers installed at Wildcraft

Attached Files:

19. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

completely ICE'd

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, and the spots are well marked including pavement markings! The Wildcraft owners seemed very enthusiastic about this too, so you'd think there'd be better enforcement.

- - - Updated - - -

True, but most commercial electrical services are 120/208 volt 3-phase, 4-wire so when you take two 120 volt phases (120 degrees out of phase) you only get 208 volts nominally at the EVSE. Space and cost considerations generally make installing a small dry-type transformer to bump the voltage up impractical.