Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waterproof extension lead plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a cheap fix for using the Tesla UMC when it's raining outside.
Have a masterplug outdoor extension similar to this but it does not close when the Tesla UMC is plugged in and therefore not properly waterproof
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006X09WDC

Have seem some "boxes" but they cost about £10 which is the same as another extension cable and so was wondering if anyone has found a way to replace the socket at the end of the wire with a waterproof one which fits the plug or a cheap DIY waterproof box?

2 bricks and a bucket. I like B&Q buckets - hi-viz and dirt cheap (the important bit). I have no need to do it for charging but if say jet-washing in the rain (Yes it is a thing! I live in Wales so rain most days and car still needs the mud removing)
One brick under the extension reel to keep it off the ground, upturned bucket and second brick on top to stop is blowing over.

2 bricks and a bucket. I like B&Q buckets - hi-viz and dirt cheap (the important bit). I have no need to do it for charging but if say jet-washing in the rain (Yes it is a thing! I live in Wales so rain most days and car still needs the mud removing)
One brick under the extension reel to keep it off the ground, upturned bucket and second brick on top to stop is blowing over.
Cheers - great idea!

Just to make sure I have understood: your car is far enough away from power than you need extension lead AND UMC?

I would want an extension lead of H07RN-F rubber cable, which can take a lot more abuse that regular leads, and doesn't suffer in the cold like so called "Arctic leads" do. And a nice moulded / rubberised plug, so it can take some abuse too.

Check the plug doesn't get hot after, say, 30 minutes charging.

Bucket + Bricks sounds fine to me, but if you actually need something pukka then perhaps the DriBox

DRiBOX 285 meduim perfect for our 2 way outdoor extension leads

Reactions: m3p_uk
Just to make sure I have understood: your car is far enough away from power than you need extension lead AND UMC?

I would want an extension lead of H07RN-F rubber cable, which can take a lot more abuse that regular leads, and doesn't suffer in the cold like so called "Arctic leads" do. And a nice moulded / rubberised plug, so it can take some abuse too.

Check the plug doesn't get hot after, say, 30 minutes charging.

Bucket + Bricks sounds fine to me, but if you actually need something pukka then perhaps the DriBox

DRiBOX 285 meduim perfect for our 2 way outdoor extension leads

Cheers the dribox is what I've seen before but can't justify spending £15 on a plastic tub :s

It's only for when I go and visit friends so not an everyday thing