Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Watt Time & Watt Key - Wear OS Watch Apps To Control Your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joshendy

Global Vendor
Oct 26, 2021
New Zealand
Hi everyone!

I've recently finished making an app that lets you do most things you can do on the Tesla phone app but from the comfort of your very own wrist. I bought the new Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 at the same time I received my Tesla and it just seemed natural to put the two together. I've got a list here of supported watches.

Get it on Google Play

home.png
battery_stats.png
charging_stats_and_controls.png
climate_control_2.png

Screenshot_20211123_104413_teslatime.png

Features:
  • Lock and unlock doors
  • Open and close frunk and trunk
  • Honk horn and flash lights
  • Remotely start your car (use your watch as a key)
  • Turn sentry mode on and off
  • See battery level and range
  • Open and close charge port
  • Open charge port
  • Start and stop charging and view charging info
  • Turn climate control on and off
  • Set climate temperature
  • Vent and close windows
  • Set heated seats temperature level
  • Turn heated steering wheel on and off
  • Support for multiple Tesla’s
  • Trigger Homelink
  • View your Tesla’s location on a map
  • See detailed information about your car
  • Customisable tile for quick access to commands

Attachments

• climate_control.png
    climate_control.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 145
  • very_detailed.png
    very_detailed.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
When you say "Support for multiple Teslas" can you go into detail? Is it as easy as swiping left or right from the home screen to toggle between them?
I wish I could make it a swipe left/right but unfortunately Wear OS uses swipe left as the command to go back/exit from an app. To change vehicles you scroll down to a button, press it, it opens a menu of your Tesla's, you select the one you want and the app changes to the new Tesla.

I wish I could make it a swipe left/right but unfortunately Wear OS uses swipe left as the command to go back/exit from an app. To change vehicles you scroll down to a button, press it, it opens a menu of your Tesla's, you select the one you want and the app changes to the new Tesla.
I realize the swipe left is already a system action which would preclude you from being able to utilize a traditional swipe back and forth but can't you make it a swipe right to toggle through the lineup? When it gets to the last one it just starts over again if you swipe right again. This would be far easier than the method you just walked through. To do that each time I want to interact via the watch makes it more cumbersome than just selecting the car I want to interface with from the widget on the home screen of my phone. I'm not really looking to add complexity to my Tesla experience through a watch app. Still a good option for those with one car or that don't need to toggle between them frequently enough to make this an issue but for those who regularly bounce between multiple Teslas this requirement on the front-end will quickly become a nuisance more than a tool for simplifying/expediting the experience.

I realize the swipe left is already a system action which would preclude you from being able to utilize a traditional swipe back and forth but can't you make it a swipe right to toggle through the lineup? When it gets to the last one it just starts over again if you swipe right again. This would be far easier than the method you just walked through. To do that each time I want to interact via the watch makes it more cumbersome than just selecting the car I want to interface with from the widget on the home screen of my phone. I'm not really looking to add complexity to my Tesla experience through a watch app. Still a good option for those with one car or that don't need to toggle between them frequently enough to make this an issue but for those who regularly bounce between multiple Teslas this requirement on the front-end will quickly become a nuisance more than a tool for simplifying/expediting the experience.
That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into implementing it and giving it a test. One right swipe too many, my instinct would be to swipe left to go back and I'd be reversed out of the app. Might be better than nothing though!

That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into implementing it and giving it a test. One right swipe too many, my instinct would be to swipe left to go back and I'd be reversed out of the app. Might be better than nothing though!
I agree that it's not ideal but system functions prevent the ideal interface (swiping on both directions) from being implemented. As someone who owns multiple vehicles though I'd prefer to have the option to be able to swipe. Even if that means it takes me a few "D'oh!" moments to remember to only swipe in one direction. I think that would be the better solution to having to scroll down each time, tap a button and select a car. I know that falls squarely on the #firstworldproblems category but we're talking about a watch app who's sole function is to add convenience over having to do the same thing on your phone so this would be another degree of that convenience enhancement aspect.

I agree that it's not ideal but system functions prevent the ideal interface (swiping on both directions) from being implemented. As someone who owns multiple vehicles though I'd prefer to have the option to be able to swipe. Even if that means it takes me a few "D'oh!" moments to remember to only swipe in one direction. I think that would be the better solution to having to scroll down each time, tap a button and select a car. I know that falls squarely on the #firstworldproblems category but we're talking about a watch app who's sole function is to add convenience over having to do the same thing on your phone so this would be another degree of that convenience enhancement aspect.
Yeah I agree 100%. If it's not super easy to use then its failed it's primary goal. I added a tile to the app specifically to make any vehicle action only a swipe and a single press away. You can also change vehicles from within that tile by a single press on the vehicle's name on the tile. I'm also working on adding Bluetooth LE key fob functionality so the watch doesn't need an LTE connection and doesn't need to wait several seconds for the vehicle's/Tesla API's response.

Reactions: Pseudofinn
I'm also working on adding Bluetooth LE key fob functionality so the watch doesn't need an LTE connection and doesn't need to wait several seconds for the vehicle's/Tesla API's response.

Now that would be awesome! I didn't even know that was possible - I thought anything outside the actual Tesla app phone-key functionality had to go through the API.

Time to buy a new watch I guess. A couple months ago I finally got around to replacing the battery in my LG Watch Sport, only for one of the wristbands to break a couple days later. I miss having a smartwatch, but I hate how disposable these things are.

Now that would be awesome! I didn't even know that was possible - I thought anything outside the actual Tesla app phone-key functionality had to go through the API.

Time to buy a new watch I guess. A couple months ago I finally got around to replacing the battery in my LG Watch Sport, only for one of the wristbands to break a couple days later. I miss having a smartwatch, but I hate how disposable these things are.
Yeah some smart person on this forum actually reverse engineered the Bluetooth LE functionality of the Tesla and provided detailed documentation on how to authenticate and communicate with the car: Getting Started | Tesla BluetoothLE API (Unofficial)

It only allows basic functionality like lock/unlock, opening trunk & frunk but it would be instant and not require an internet connection which would be ideal for a smart watch. Essentially it'd make the watch a Tesla key fob.

I've already got the Samsung Gear S3 Classic & Frontier version watches, which I like.

Think I'll buy the Watch4 version now, as I really like the idea of opening the charge port without having to get my phone out in the rain.

Also, the Watch4 does blood pressure monitoring for when stuff doesn't work as it should 😁

Reactions: joshendy
I've been using this app a little bit and I have a feature request/some feedback.

I'm unsure if maybe it isn't just operator error but how can I customize the very first screen? For me, this is the screen I will interact with the most frequently and if it doesn't offer me the ability to customize it to be the most efficient the app will quickly become unnecessary.

What I'd like to know is how I can customize the home screen specifically. I'm okay w/ the top three buttons (Frunk, Lock, Hatch) because I do use those from time to time. The three below that are a different story. I've never in my life honked my horn or flashed my lights from the app nor have I had the desire to on previous vehicles. I don't get this and it's a waste of the most important real estate this app provides. I would like the ability to change these three (and probably the top three) to something more useful for my use, I'd love to have these three be "Remote Start" "Climate" and "Heated seats" as those are the three functions I trigger most frequently from my app. I would probably even change the "Frunk" out for "Vehicle Select" as we would use that more frequently.

Basically, I want the ability to customize the six buttons on the very first screen. I'd like the ability to choose the 6 buttons I want on the first screen from every button available on the app. This would provide the customization and flexibility that would keep the app beneficial to me. For my use, I'd love to have the top be: Climate On/Off, Heated Seats, Heated Wheel and then the bottom three be Lock/Unlock, Remote Start, Select Vehicle (this last one would probably be Homelink once you're able to successfully get swiping in one-direction to toggle vehicles as we discussed previously) as these would be the most useful to me.

Maybe this functionality already exists but it's not immediately apparent if it does. Within settings I see an option to edit "Quick Control Tile Button" but I'm not sure what this even changes. Maybe my solution is here somehow but it's just operator error.

Last edited:
I've been using this app a little bit and I have a feature request/some feedback.

I'm unsure if maybe it isn't just operator error but how can I customize the very first screen? For me, this is the screen I will interact with the most frequently and if it doesn't offer me the ability to customize it to be the most efficient the app will quickly become unnecessary.

What I'd like to know is how I can customize the home screen specifically. I'm okay w/ the top three buttons (Frunk, Lock, Hatch) because I do use those from time to time. The three below that are a different story. I've never in my life honked my horn or flashed my lights from the app nor have I had the desire to on previous vehicles. I don't get this and it's a waste of the most important real estate this app provides. I would like the ability to change these three (and probably the top three) to something more useful for my use, I'd love to have these three be "Remote Start" "Climate" and "Heated seats" as those are the three functions I trigger most frequently from my app. I would probably even change the "Frunk" out for "Vehicle Select" as we would use that more frequently.

Basically, I want the ability to customize the six buttons on the very first screen. I'd like the ability to choose the 6 buttons I want on the first screen from every button available on the app. This would provide the customization and flexibility that would keep the app beneficial to me. For my use, I'd love to have the top be: Climate On/Off, Heated Seats, Heated Wheel and then the bottom three be Lock/Unlock, Remote Start, Select Vehicle (this last one would probably be Homelink once you're able to successfully get swiping in one-direction to toggle vehicles as we discussed previously) as these would be the most useful to me.

Maybe this functionality already exists but it's not immediately apparent if it does. Within settings I see an option to edit "Quick Control Tile Button" but I'm not sure what this even changes. Maybe my solution is here somehow but it's just operator error.

You're in luck because I'm just in the finishing stages of adding that very feature to let you hold down any of those first 6 buttons and then select whatever function you'd like. I'll hopefully be releasing this update to the app in the next few days. Just testing to make sure everything works well.

The "Quick Control Tile" is a Wear OS Tile, these are the odd little mini apps that you can access by swiping right from the watch's home screen. You can add the Tesla Time tile and quickly access four functions of your choosing.

You're in luck because I'm just in the finishing stages of adding that very feature to let you hold down any of those first 6 buttons and then select whatever function you'd like. I'll hopefully be releasing this update to the app in the next few days. Just testing to make sure everything works well.

The "Quick Control Tile" is a Wear OS Tile, these are the odd little mini apps that you can access by swiping right from the watch's home screen. You can add the Tesla Time tile and quickly access four functions of your choosing.
Great minds and all that I suppose. ;)

Actually, I'm glad I asked because the tiles makes much more sense now and will be one of my most used features of this app I'm guessing. Now that I know it's allowing me to adjust what options show up in a tile I just need to activate that tile on the watch. Now a simple left swipe from the home screen takes me immediately to the four most often used options of this app which is not only exactly what I was looking for but an even quicker way to access them. I knew it was more operator error than anything. 🤣

It will also be nice to have the ability to customize the home screen to the options I use most frequently but now that I can have the top 4 utilized options a single left swipe away I may need to open the app much less frequently which is a good thing.

Thanks for the response and thanks for continued development of the app. 👍

Reactions: joshendy
Decided to purchase your app joshendy as has more functions than "Wear for Tesla" which has a subscription based option for enhanced functionality which is standard with your app...

Glad to hear you'll be releasing an update very soon...pity Bluetooth compatibility won't be on this update but hopefully sometime in the near future which I believe will be the killer feature allowing untethered operation...

One thiing I would like to say...I use the widget/tiles (Samsung GW4) with my favourite 4 icon's which is great ..the green circle showing battery left is a good indicator but I always seem to go to the app to get the actual percentage...if somehow the percentage number could be placed within the tile I think this would be better saving to look somewhere else for more accurate figure!