Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Watt Time & Watt Key - Wear OS Watch Apps To Control Your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! I've just finished work on my new app: Watt Key. It essentially turns your watch into a Bluetooth keyfob. It runs in the background on your watch so as you walk towards your car it'll automatically unlock and you can drive away. As you walk away it'll disconnect and lock the car. You can open the frunk, open/close the trunk and open/close the chargeport. Much more limited functionality than my Watt Time app but as this works over Bluetooth it's instant, no waiting for the Tesla API to wake up the car and send commands through.

As with my other app; it supports multiple Tesla's and has a tile so you can control your Tesla with a single swipe and a press (if you have the tile in your 1st slot).

I'm looking for some people to help me test it out before I release it. If you'd like to help out with the testing and ideally provide me with some feedback please send me a PM with your email address (the one you use with your Google Play Store account, it has to be a Gmail account apparently).

Thanks!

View attachment 806795

Sent you a PM

I'm looking for some people to help me test it out before I release it. If you'd like to help out with the testing and ideally provide me with some feedback please send me a PM with your email address (the one you use with your Google Play Store account, it has to be a Gmail account apparently).
I would like to participate in tests but I am new here and can not send you PM.

I was let into the beta test and am happy to report that it works perfectly. The car reacts as if your watch was a phone key: you just walk up and can get in and drive.

I use this when I go on runs since I like to leave my phone locked up in the car (with Bluetooth off so it doesn't act as a key). I would then have to worry about my key card flopping out of my pocket while running. Now I can leave everything and just let my watch be my key!

I also have Watt Time but rarely made use of it because of its speed. The amount of time it took to go thru the APIs, wake the car, then execute the command was simply too long to be convenient (especially if you are carrying something out to the frunk/trunk). This app solves this by sending the command instantly thru Bluetooth. Of course, this also means the feature set is reduced. A fair trade-off if you ask me. It could be nice to have a hybrid app that uses Bluetooth where it can, but falls back to the API methods where it makes sense. For example, if this app could tell me my SoC, I wouldn't need Watt Time at all; Watt Key would do everything.

Cheers for a great app, Josh. Get this on the store before the Pixel watch drops and you'll be raking in the bucks!

Alrighty everyone, I've released my new app Watt Key - Get it on Google Play Store for Wear OS watches. Only works on Model 3 and Y and refresh Model S and X.

Unlike my Watt Time app, this app controls the car via it's Bluetooth Low Energy protocol. The huge benefit here is that the commands run instantaneously, as opposed to using the Tesla API which takes several seconds to issue a command to the car. Essentially it gives your watch the same functionality as a Tesla key fob.

The Bluetooth protocol has only limited commands vs. the API but they are some of the most useful:
* Lock/unlock
* Open frunk
* Open/close trunk
* Open/close charge port

My favorite feature is the automatic lock/unlock as you walk away/towards your Tesla. This works the same as the Tesla phone app. With this app you could leave your wallet and phone at home and have your watch be your car key.

Watt Key (like Watt Time) also comes with a Tile for quick access to all the vehicle commands without needing to open the app.

How to use:
* When you first open the app it'll ask for permission to use the Bluetooth
* Once you've allowed the permission the app will begin to scan for nearby Tesla's
* Tesla's will show up by their Bluetooth name which is a hashed representation of your VIN number (It'll help to do this away from other Tesla's as you might have a tough time figuring out which is yours)
* Press on Tesla's Bluetooth name and it'll generate a cryptographic key to use with your Tesla and begin to connect to the car
* When it's connected the app will prompt you to swipe your RFID key card on your Tesla's center console to authorize the app to be added as a key
* That's it! You can now control the car. The app runs in the background on your watch and will automatically connect and disconnect from your Tesla (the official Tesla app works in the exact same way)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: LexNastin
Was finally able to get it, thx! Should add Watt Time and Key work great love it.
Cool, glad it's working well for you! For some reason on the Google Play app it shows as incompatible, but the Google Play watch app and Google Play in the web browser doesn't have this issue. I'm currently talking with Google to get it fixed. If anyone gets this issue either open Google Play Store in a web browser or search "Watt Key" in Google Play on your watch :)

I'm still loving the app, but occasionally run into a bug. Once every few weeks, the icons on the buttons on the quicktile get messed up (see the screenshot). The buttons still work correctly, and unpinning the quicktile then readding it fixes it.

A super minor issue, but figured I'd report it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220708_095044_sysui.png
    Screenshot_20220708_095044_sysui.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 124
I'm still loving the app, but occasionally run into a bug. Once every few weeks, the icons on the buttons on the quicktile get messed up (see the screenshot). The buttons still work correctly, and unpinning the quicktile then readding it fixes it.

A super minor issue, but figured I'd report it.
Hmm interesting! Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into it and try get it fixed asap :)

How often is Watt Time waking the the car? If you open the app, does it wake the car up? Or is it only when you issue a command in the app that it wakes it up?

Same question for Watt Key. If my watch is in Bluetooth range at home to my car, will it continuously be locking and unlocking the car? How close do you have to be for it to lock/unlock via Bluetooth?
Sorry if this is a basic question as I just took delivery of my modely Y LR yesterday.

How often is Watt Time waking the the car? If you open the app, does it wake the car up? Or is it only when you issue a command in the app that it wakes it up?

Same question for Watt Key. If my watch is in Bluetooth range at home to my car, will it continuously be locking and unlocking the car? How close do you have to be for it to lock/unlock via Bluetooth?
Sorry if this is a basic question as I just took delivery of my modely Y LR yesterday.
The only time Watt Time will wake your car is when you first open the app, if you left the app open it would only continue to pull data from it while it was still awake. Tesla recently updated their API to include a latest cached data endpoint so I can get the latest data for the car without waking it up. I've implemented it in Watt Time but I'm still testing it and haven't released the update yet.

You typically need to be standing right next to the car for it to unlock. If the car is in Bluetooth range then Watt Key will connect to it and respond to any requests. It hasn't really had a huge effect on my watch battery, I lost a few % a day with it running all the time.

If you buy Watt Key, do you need Watt Time? Does Watt Key do everything that Watt Time can do or do you need both apps? Thank you!
Nope, they're both standalone apps. Watt Key uses the Tesla's Bluetooth protocol, whereas Watt Time uses Tesla's API (which requires internet access and for Tesla's servers to be up and running). The Bluetooth protocol can only do the most basic functions: unlock/lock, open frunk, open/close trunk, open/close charge port. So that's all Watt Key can do, however the benefit being Watt Key is treated by the car as an actual key (it shows up in the Locks menu of the Tesla) and requires no internet connection. Watt Time on the other hand has a bunch of features as Tesla's API is much more feature rich, with the downside being that it requires internet connectivity and can be slow at times.

Reactions: wiesert