Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Watt Time & Watt Key - Wear OS Watch Apps To Control Your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to purchase your app joshendy as has more functions than "Wear for Tesla" which has a subscription based option for enhanced functionality which is standard with your app...

Glad to hear you'll be releasing an update very soon...pity Bluetooth compatibility won't be on this update but hopefully sometime in the near future which I believe will be the killer feature allowing untethered operation...

One thiing I would like to say...I use the widget/tiles (Samsung GW4) with my favourite 4 icon's which is great ..the green circle showing battery left is a good indicator but I always seem to go to the app to get the actual percentage...if somehow the percentage number could be placed within the tile I think this would be better saving to look somewhere else for more accurate figure!

Thanks! Yeah I'm really looking forward to the Bluetooth functionality myself, I'm having quite a tough time with it but hopefully I'll get it there.

I tried to put the actual percentage number curved around the screen but it looked a bit silly. I'll have a play around again and see if there's a nicer way of doing it. Quite limited on screen space on these little watches!

Also FYI to anyone reading; I've released an update with the customisable home buttons on the main watch app so you can have whatever buttons you'd like handy as soon as you open the app!

Thanks! Yeah I'm really looking forward to the Bluetooth functionality myself, I'm having quite a tough time with it but hopefully I'll get it there.

I tried to put the actual percentage number curved around the screen but it looked a bit silly. I'll have a play around again and see if there's a nicer way of doing it. Quite limited on screen space on these little watches!

Also FYI to anyone reading; I've released an update with the customisable home buttons on the main watch app so you can have whatever buttons you'd like handy as soon as you open the app!
FWIW, I actually prefer the circular ring indicating rough battery SoC. For me, it's a clean and simple way to add another data point at a glance. I can't imagine a way that would allow you to add a numeric value that wouldn't interfere with functionality or just plain look goofy. I haven't yet noticed, does it change colors to yellow/orange under 50 miles of range like the car does and then finally red when very low?

Thanks for the update with the button customization capability. This makes this app significantly more useful for most people since now we'll be able to customize those buttons to what we use most. Everyone is different with how they interact with the app so this will allow us each to custom tailor to what works best for us on an individual basis rather than trying to create a layout for everyone so to speak.

Any headway on the ability to swipe rip to change vehicles? I think if you had it so each swipe right just went through the list of cars until it reached the end and then started over at 1 again with the next swipe right this would allow for infinite expansion for those with several vehicles. It's one of those features that would be invisible to those who didn't need it as well. I think it would be a nice addition and would allow me to place my steering wheel heat button where I just put a change vehicle button. This would be useful because, living in Colorado, I regularly interact with the climate, seat heat & heated steering wheel. Having these three across the bottom of the main screen w/o giving up the ability to quickly change cars would be perfect.

Also, any plans to create a watch face or whatever those little card things are called based on the app? It would be cool to be able to have some of these functions right on the watch face itself.

FWIW, I actually prefer the circular ring indicating rough battery SoC. For me, it's a clean and simple way to add another data point at a glance. I can't imagine a way that would allow you to add a numeric value that wouldn't interfere with functionality or just plain look goofy. I haven't yet noticed, does it change colors to yellow/orange under 50 miles of range like the car does and then finally red when very low?

Thanks for the update with the button customization capability. This makes this app significantly more useful for most people since now we'll be able to customize those buttons to what we use most. Everyone is different with how they interact with the app so this will allow us each to custom tailor to what works best for us on an individual basis rather than trying to create a layout for everyone so to speak.

Any headway on the ability to swipe rip to change vehicles? I think if you had it so each swipe right just went through the list of cars until it reached the end and then started over at 1 again with the next swipe right this would allow for infinite expansion for those with several vehicles. It's one of those features that would be invisible to those who didn't need it as well. I think it would be a nice addition and would allow me to place my steering wheel heat button where I just put a change vehicle button. This would be useful because, living in Colorado, I regularly interact with the climate, seat heat & heated steering wheel. Having these three across the bottom of the main screen w/o giving up the ability to quickly change cars would be perfect.

Also, any plans to create a watch face or whatever those little card things are called based on the app? It would be cool to be able to have some of these functions right on the watch face itself.
Yep the ring on the tile changes to orange at 40% SoC and red at 20% SoC. I kinda pulled those numbers out of my rear end. No worries! I'm glad I finally added the customisation. It's made the app a lot nicer to use for myself too!

I started to have a play with the swipe to change cars functionality but got caught up fixing bugs and ended up forgetting about it. I'll add that to my list of next features to work on.

The "complications" I believe they're called. I did have a little play with these, I found a complication that I could use to launch my app (or any app). As for building custom complications for certain actions like climate on/off I've not figured out yet. Now that I've got that homepage customisation done though I'll have more time to look into these!

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Yep the ring on the tile changes to orange at 40% SoC and red at 20% SoC. I kinda pulled those numbers out of my rear end. No worries! I'm glad I finally added the customisation. It's made the app a lot nicer to use for myself too!

I started to have a play with the swipe to change cars functionality but got caught up fixing bugs and ended up forgetting about it. I'll add that to my list of next features to work on.

The "complications" I believe they're called. I did have a little play with these, I found a complication that I could use to launch my app (or any app). As for building custom complications for certain actions like climate on/off I've not figured out yet. Now that I've got that homepage customisation done though I'll have more time to look into these!
Thanks for info on percentage numbers, at least it gives an idea what percentage you're under depending on colour...yes, a dedicated watch face/complication would be a great addition...seen this on the Apple watch app...to just lift the wrist and press the action you'd like to do directly from the Watch face will take away another swipe/step!

Just bought, love to support developers connected to their users. One idea - the icon of a key for "remote start" wasn't very intuitive to me - maybe a I/O "power" icon? The one with the I over the O? Definitely like the app, I like the ability to customize the widget. I really like the circle border indicator for charge - very obvious!!

@joshendy
Just bought the app, love it! Thank you for taking the time to develop it. Any thoughts on adding the ability to see your live sentry mode feed? This would be super useful, or even get sentry mode alerts sent to the watch?
No worries, I'm happy it's proving useful for you! I would definitely love to implement that, unfortunately here in New Zealand we don't have that feature yet so I'm unable to even start figuring out how it's done. My big three improvements I'm trying/hoping to figure out are: Bluetooth connectivity (so no internet required), summon and live sentry. Unfortunately I don't have FSD or live sentry so I can't even test those things. I'm hoping in time I'll be able to add all those features to Tesla Time.

No worries, I'm happy it's proving useful for you! I would definitely love to implement that, unfortunately here in New Zealand we don't have that feature yet so I'm unable to even start figuring out how it's done. My big three improvements I'm trying/hoping to figure out are: Bluetooth connectivity (so no internet required), summon and live sentry. Unfortunately I don't have FSD or live sentry so I can't even test those things. I'm hoping in time I'll be able to add all those features to Tesla Time.
Hey, I'm the creator of that Bluetooth documentation you were talking about, and just got myself a WearOS watch and would be happy to see an app with Bluetooth.

Anyways, if you're a bit confused, my friend developed a python library to communicate with the car over Bluetooth called PyTeslaBLE, which you might want to check out for reference, and also I can partly help you with development of the app if you want.

Hey, I'm the creator of that Bluetooth documentation you were talking about, and just got myself a WearOS watch and would be happy to see an app with Bluetooth.

Anyways, if you're a bit confused, my friend developed a python library to communicate with the car over Bluetooth called PyTeslaBLE, which you might want to check out for reference, and also I can partly help you with development of the app if you want.
Thanks heaps for putting in the work to reverse engineer and document the BLE communication! I'll take a look at the python library, I'm sure it'll help me out.

Reactions: LexNastin
I wish I could make it a swipe left/right but unfortunately Wear OS uses swipe left as the command to go back/exit from an app. To change vehicles you scroll down to a button, press it, it opens a menu of your Tesla's, you select the one you want and the app changes to the new Tesla.

Hi, I've ended up on this thread because I've recently got myself an Android Wear OS watch which I've been experimenting with building apps and Bluetooth LE stuff on, and I've had some ideas for stuff to do with a Tesla (but not actually having a Tesla myself makes that a bit difficult for me to try out at the moment, lol). So I thought I'd see what already exists for Tesla on Wear OS anyway (as I see Apple Watch apps mentioned all the time in Tesla groups etc, but never Android Wear). Not having a Tesla, I haven't actually tried your app to see what exactly its UI is like, but:

The Wear OS swipe-to-dismiss thing (and avoiding it) is one of the things I've been experimenting with in my apps, so I just thought I'd mention in case you haven't already realised, you absolutely can disable it and use that gesture for your own purposes. It's explained in the documentation here, but I'd say not very clearly really, so here's my summary of what I've found by experimenting with each method mentioned there myself:
  • You can completely disable swipe-to-dismiss by adding <item name="android:windowSwipeToDismiss">false</item> to the app's theme (in styles.xml), or disable it for a single activity by making a child theme with that set and applying that theme to the activity. This is definitely the simplest way to do it, but then you have to provide some other way of going back/exiting the app, or users will have to just use the home (power) button on their watch to get back to their home screen.

• You can try to use a SwipeDismissFrameLayout to make only swipes from the very edge of the screen dismiss the activity, but in my experience that was a confusing mess that I couldn't get to work properly. It seems as though all Wear OS activities that don't have android:windowSwipeToDismiss set to false in their theme automatically get surrounded in a SwipeDismissFrameLayoutwhich has some extra stuff set to make it behave in the way that it does, and that part doesn't seem to be documented anywhere (or available in the open source part of Android), so I gave up on trying to make it function the same way while only allowing swipes from the very edge (which the documentation seems to imply should be easy to do!)

• If the View that you swipe on returns true for canScrollHorizontally (int direction), that actually prevents the swipe-to-dismiss from occuring (even without doing anything else mentioned above)! I think this should be the case for any standard scrolling View which isn't already scrolled all the way across, but you can also override that method on any view so that it always returns true. This is what I've settled on for one of my test apps which has a central horizontal RecyclerView that is sometimes scrollable, sometimes not (depending on how much stuff is in it) - to prevent accidentally closing the app (which currently kills its Bluetooth LE connections), I've made it always return true so that it behaves consistently. The view doesn't quite reach all the way to the edges (at least on a round screen), so swiping from the edge of the screen still works to dismiss the app.
Hope that all makes sense and is of some use to you :)

Hi, I've ended up on this thread because I've recently got myself an Android Wear OS watch which I've been experimenting with building apps and Bluetooth LE stuff on, and I've had some ideas for stuff to do with a Tesla (but not actually having a Tesla myself makes that a bit difficult for me to try out at the moment, lol). So I thought I'd see what already exists for Tesla on Wear OS anyway (as I see Apple Watch apps mentioned all the time in Tesla groups etc, but never Android Wear). Not having a Tesla, I haven't actually tried your app to see what exactly its UI is like, but:

The Wear OS swipe-to-dismiss thing (and avoiding it) is one of the things I've been experimenting with in my apps, so I just thought I'd mention in case you haven't already realised, you absolutely can disable it and use that gesture for your own purposes. It's explained in the documentation here, but I'd say not very clearly really, so here's my summary of what I've found by experimenting with each method mentioned there myself:
  • You can completely disable swipe-to-dismiss by adding <item name="android:windowSwipeToDismiss">false</item> to the app's theme (in styles.xml), or disable it for a single activity by making a child theme with that set and applying that theme to the activity. This is definitely the simplest way to do it, but then you have to provide some other way of going back/exiting the app, or users will have to just use the home (power) button on their watch to get back to their home screen.

• You can try to use a SwipeDismissFrameLayout to make only swipes from the very edge of the screen dismiss the activity, but in my experience that was a confusing mess that I couldn't get to work properly. It seems as though all Wear OS activities that don't have android:windowSwipeToDismiss set to false in their theme automatically get surrounded in a SwipeDismissFrameLayoutwhich has some extra stuff set to make it behave in the way that it does, and that part doesn't seem to be documented anywhere (or available in the open source part of Android), so I gave up on trying to make it function the same way while only allowing swipes from the very edge (which the documentation seems to imply should be easy to do!)

• If the View that you swipe on returns true for canScrollHorizontally (int direction), that actually prevents the swipe-to-dismiss from occuring (even without doing anything else mentioned above)! I think this should be the case for any standard scrolling View which isn't already scrolled all the way across, but you can also override that method on any view so that it always returns true. This is what I've settled on for one of my test apps which has a central horizontal RecyclerView that is sometimes scrollable, sometimes not (depending on how much stuff is in it) - to prevent accidentally closing the app (which currently kills its Bluetooth LE connections), I've made it always return true so that it behaves consistently. The view doesn't quite reach all the way to the edges (at least on a round screen), so swiping from the edge of the screen still works to dismiss the app.
Hope that all makes sense and is of some use to you :)
Oh, that's nice! Haven't fully read, but just from what I began reading, sounds interesting.

Hi all! I've just finished work on my new app: Watt Key. It essentially turns your watch into a Bluetooth keyfob. It runs in the background on your watch so as you walk towards your car it'll automatically unlock and you can drive away. As you walk away it'll disconnect and lock the car. You can open the frunk, open/close the trunk and open/close the chargeport. Much more limited functionality than my Watt Time app but as this works over Bluetooth it's instant, no waiting for the Tesla API to wake up the car and send commands through.

As with my other app; it supports multiple Tesla's and has a tile so you can control your Tesla with a single swipe and a press (if you have the tile in your 1st slot).

I'm looking for some people to help me test it out before I release it. If you'd like to help out with the testing and ideally provide me with some feedback please send me a PM with your email address (the one you use with your Google Play Store account, it has to be a Gmail account apparently).

Thanks!

main_unlocked.png