Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watts per mile - Typical values versus speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any tables which show typical watts/mile against speed?

Is 300 watts/mile really achievable for typical everyday driving. From my first 3 weeks of Model S driving 400 watts per mile would seem far more typical..

In a word, yes. I have averaged 284 wh/mile over my 27,000 miles. There is a frequent contributor here from Texas whose average (if memory serves) is around 245. I live in the Central Valley of California that is over 450 miles long and gains only about 700 feet of elevation in either direction from the San Joaquin/Sacramento River delta to the mountains to the south and north. I drive at or beneath the speed limit on the highway (generally 65 or 70.) I accelerate gently and take advantage of the regenerative braking. Most of my driving has been on the open road. Finally, the weather here stays between 40-105 degrees for most of the year, with few hard freezes, and precipitation is (especially of late) spotty.

Urban driving with quick acceleration and hard braking will increase your wh/mile. Use of the cabin heater will increase wh/mile.

As far a tabulated compilation of speed vs. energy consumption, I think that there are a few lurking about, but I do not know where to look to find them.

Enjoy your car! :smile:

Cps, thanks for the detailed reply. At the moment here in England the temperature in the mornings when I go to work is in the 30's usually with frost on the windows. Do you think ambient temperature plays a significant part in power consumption?

i am enjoying my Tesla. I drive it everywhere just for the sheer pleasure of driving something so unique and advanced. There are relatively few of them here in the North of England so nobody knows what it is. It is so easy to play at "Hooligan' when the tearaways pull up alongside you at the traffic lights in a Subaru Impreza with exhausts the size of drain pipes.

....so now you are going to say that is why I am averaging 400 watts/mile......

Best wishes from a cold England.

Cps, thanks for the detailed reply. At the moment here in England the temperature in the mornings when I go to work is in the 30's usually with frost on the windows. Do you think ambient temperature plays a significant part in power consumption?
Yes it does, but you can mitigate that by:

1. Set the timer so that charging ends about the time you leave.
2. Charge with range mode off, drive with range mode on (most effective for short trips).
3. Pre-heat the car using the App.
4. Make sure the tires have some air in them. (gases shrink in cold).
5. Cold air is denser so there is more aerodynamic drag, moderate your speed.

Is 300 watts/mile really achievable for typical everyday driving. From my first 3 weeks of Model S driving 400 watts per mile would seem far more typical..

As far as I know there is no such table in existence. However this is one item that I plan on generating once I have my car.
My plan is to essentially create 4 such tables which are going to be seasonal in nature.
December - February, March - May, June - August and September - November.
The use of HVAC and the effects of climate on the traction battery lead me to think that I should start with four seasonal views of the wH/mile.

This leads to the next question? What data to capture, and which app or hosted app to use?

Frankly I was thinking of making it simple and trying to understand for each traction battery percentage, what mileage can I expect to achieve in this season?

I plan on using my S as a normal car. Yes I will pre-heat or cool before leaving home but that is about the extent of special treatment I will go for.

ARTinCT

17k miles, lifetime average 324wh/mi.

An average is a bad number though, because you're averaging (well I am) bumper-to-bumper city driving where my wh/mi might be closer to 450-500wh/mi in the winter and summer roadtrips where my wh/mi might be closer to 260-280wh/mi and winter roadtrips where my wh/mi might be closer to 300-330wh/mi.

Low tire pressure costs watt-hours too. Down 5psi costs 10 percent, very-approximately.
And low temps means lower pressure, so ... Know your tire pressure.
(Don't ask...embarassing. Back at 45psi now around 300 wh/mi. Here where just
going anywhere means up/down 400 feet altitude over and over.)

The biggest single factor, in my experience, is temperature. I got my car in May and averaged about 290wh/mi for the summer/autumn. My avg in the winter is between 350 and 400wh/mi, >400 on particularly cold days.

9a4bd19f1c066c586148612bd2050c03.jpg

This is from my commute one day this week. The high temp that day was about 30F.

Not on a P. And It depends where you live (and how you drive, but I would anticipate driving style will average out). In Maryland, where we have mid-hot summers and mid-cold winters, and only small hills, I am seeing an average of 349 w/m over 18000 miles and all 4 seasons on a p85d, 21"

As far as I know there is no such table in existence. However this is one item that I plan on generating once I have my car.
My plan is to essentially create 4 such tables which are going to be seasonal in nature.
December - February, March - May, June - August and September - November.
The use of HVAC and the effects of climate on the traction battery lead me to think that I should start with four seasonal views of the wH/mile.

This leads to the next question? What data to capture, and which app or hosted app to use?

Frankly I was thinking of making it simple and trying to understand for each traction battery percentage, what mileage can I expect to achieve in this season?

I plan on using my S as a normal car. Yes I will pre-heat or cool before leaving home but that is about the extent of special treatment I will go for.

ARTinCT

Did you generate that data? I am interested in looking at it if possible?

I'd rate them as follows:

1. Driving style.
2. Trip distance, terrain, traffic, and the number of stops per mile.
3. The combination of temperature, weather (snow or rain on the road, and wind), and HVAC
4. Tires, tire pressure, and alignment
5. Road construction material

For 2, 3, and 4, the order can change depending upon which one is the furthest from ideal.

Over 25,000 miles I'm averaging 249 watt-hours per mile. I live at 7520 feet elevation in Colorado and winter temps get to 0. I stay below the speed limit, anticipate and slow down for traffic lights and roll through stop signs when safe. I use the "don't walk" sign to telegraph when I'm going to miss the light, then slow to 15-25 so I can maintain some momentum for when the light turns green. The less one's speed varies in a trip, the lower the energy consumption. It's costly to stop and start again from 0. That heavy Model S has a lot of inertia. I'm not going to save the planet but can do my share while it's a fun pastime on my commute. :) P.S. It always amuses me when people roar by in their gas hogs only to hammer their brakes for the upcoming red light. At the same time it's depressing to think about how much energy we waste with stupidity.

Flat (700' max elevation), dry, temps > 65º F, 2 or fewer passengers, and calm conditions in my S70D, 2015 'classic'. Measurements taken for > 10 mile stretches:
MPH..... wh/mi
70 ..... 287
73 ..... 306
78 ..... 332
83 ..... 359
Potential sources for error: drafting; varying road surfaces; light variable winds; tire pressure. Note, all of these were in a straight line, so elevation might have changed by 50 feet. I have made measurements that involve a loop that doubles back on a highway -- but that entails a speed drop to about 20 MPH, and the corresponding coast/accelerations.

Flat (700' max elevation), dry, temps > 65º F, 2 or fewer passengers, and calm conditions in my S70D, 2015 'classic'. Measurements taken for > 10 mile stretches:
MPH..... wh/mi
70 ..... 287
73 ..... 306
78 ..... 332
83 ..... 359
Potential sources for error: drafting; varying road surfaces; light variable winds; tire pressure. Note, all of these were in a straight line, so elevation might have changed by 50 feet. I have made measurements that involve a loop that doubles back on a highway -- but that entails a speed drop to about 20 MPH, and the corresponding coast/accelerations.
Thanks for taking the time to do this

These seem a bit high based on my experience - in longer road trips I'm averaging 260-280 where the average speed over the whole trip is 70 and 3/4 of that trip is highway travel with speeds averaging 75-77 mph. What size wheels do you have?