TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Watts Up? Help a brother out..

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Gutch, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Gutch

Gutch Member

Hello, I have been reading as much as possible from this awesome site. I have purchased a 2015 P85D from a dealer out of state, sight unseen. Risky, yes. Scared shitless, yes. My car will arrive in a few days and am wondering what diagnostic i can personally do on the car, i.e. battery etc. Is there an app for iphone that will tell me if my car is capped? etc...

Any help will be greatly appreciated. First EV, nervous and excited! BTW coming from Greenville SC. Thank ya'll again.

Regards-

2. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Congratulations! This will likely be the best car you've ever had. Of course, it helps to set your expectations properly.

Did the dealer tell you what the range is reported to be when it is fully charged? How about how long it takes to supercharge from 20% to 80% or similar? If you didn't ask these questions, you'll get whatever you get. And you can go from there.

3. Gutch

Gutch Member

Thank you for the reply. Ive owned a few high end vehicles, but never electric! No, the dealer was not a Tesal dealership. They advertised as a P85 and when i dug deeper, it was actually a P85D with Luda. Not sure they knew what they had. Anyrate, just trying to prep myself. With a gasser, Im good, just something new to me. Very excited. I want to learn this info, just trying to educate myself with all this wattage!

4. Gutch

Gutch Member

I absolutely love the fact of no more gas stations and oil changes. Can't stand repair shops etc. I am amp'd - no pun intended!

• Like x 2
  5. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

When you decide to find out what kind of acceleration your car can deliver, I strongly recommend loose items in the car be put in a safe place, your phone is secured, and no food or drinks in the car. Passengers should lean back into the seats, with their heads firmly against the headrest. Look around for dogs, kids, objects in the road...and cops. Wheels, pointed straight ahead. Then punch it.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Seriously, unless you are heavily into buttons or massage seats with plush leather, you'll find your new to you Tesla the best car you've ever owned. If it's actually a P85D with Ludicrous Mode that would be somewhat unusual. It means that the owner paid to have it upgraded after the fact, I think, since Ludicrous first appeared with the release of the P90D.

Anyway, what the mileage on it? I think you can be reasonably certain that the previous owner(s), if indeed they paid for an upgrade, probably launched it an unusually large number of times. That can leave the battery in worse shape than it might otherwise have been. Other risks of used Tesla batteries are around various forms of abuse -- leaving it charged to 100% many times, running it all the way down to 0% regularly, flooring it all the time....

How about you provide some details? What month was it built? What was on the original Monroney sticker? What did you pay for it?

7. beatle

beatle Member

Pick up a diagnostic cable and an OBDLink bluetooth scanner to get the most accurate info out of the car. Subscribe to TeslaFi to track your car's health and its behavior in different conditions.

• Like x 1
  8. JamstationP85D

I also picked one up late Nov. Came from a loud/fast/obnoxious SRT8. Test drove 911’s, RS7’s, etc.. test drove this and there was no looking back and zero regrets. Get the cable as mentioned above and an ODB with BT4.0 LE (I use the Carista from amazon). Works perfect with Scan my Tesla (Android) and TM-Spy (IOS). There you can tell the general health of your battery and how much its been supercharged vs AC charging (excessive supercharging isnt as gentle on the battery). I have since tinted, swapped the dash for carbon dash (OEM), added the carbon spoiler (eBay), carbon read diffuser, lowering links, hub centric 20mm spacers, and new Front Bumper refresh from TS Sportline is being painted now.

• Like x 1
  9. Gutch

Gutch Member

Thank you all for your replies. Its got 54k on it and purchased for under $50k. I have an obd wireless scanner. Just need the cable adapter, any idea where to purchase?

Manufacture date was Jan 2015. Apparently the previous owner paid for Ludicrous mode, which could be a blessing or a downer, pending on how he drove it.

Ive owned 4 vettes, cls63 amg, 911 Turbo, and bmw 650. Ive purchased this car for Real Estate. Should get to the property 1st!

Attached Files:

10. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

You got a good deal if the car wasn't abused. Personally, I wouldn't bother with all that scanner type stuff. Not that it doesn't provide lots of useful information, but obsessing over a bunch of stuff that nobody understands seems pretty pointless to me. Actually, worse than pointless since all you really care about is how the car behaves for you. Of course if there's stuff that's wrong it can be a useful diagnostic tool, but other than that it just seems counterproductive to me. Enjoy and don't worry.

You'll want to work with Tesla and the dealer ASAP to make sure that your ownership is recognized and the car is registered on your Tesla account. You'll need that so that the app works. The thing to know about Tesla is that although they make great cars, their customer communications are pretty bad. So doing things like that can take time, sometimes a lot of time.

Your car no doubt has auto-pilot, but not full self driving. AP1 is never going to drive the car for you everywhere, but it's a very nice driver assist. Give it some time to figure out what it can do well and what it can't. Great for traffic jams and long drives on the highway. Really bad if you expect to pay little attention and take your hands off the wheel and have it save your butt. Set your expectations right and you'll be very happy.

Put your referral code on your card and you'll no doubt get lots of free supercharger miles from the people you drive around when they buy Teslas. Even more if you let other people drive. Plus they'll love you, which can't be bad for selling real estate.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  11. AustinP

AustinP Active Member

You mention manufacturing in January 2015, and I can see on the screenshot that it has LTE.
    So either MCU has already been replaced (good thing) or it had the LTE upgrade added. I believe LTE became standard in June 2015

Nice car indeed !

12. JamstationP85D

I purchased my cable from eBay. Make sure its a 2012-2015 cable and not the newer one. Also - consider a chrome delete.

13. TonyT

TonyT Member

14. Gutch

Gutch Member

Thanks guys, great points all around. I believe i have free supercharging. Ive emailed Tesla twice to find the procedure to link the car with me, no answer. I believe i email registration and drivers license to them.
    Thanks again for all the info!

15. JamstationP85D

I thought I had free supercharging until they transferred the ownership.. then the bills started coming in.. lol. The ownership transfer took 10 days for me (I have heard varying success).

16. Gutch

Gutch Member

Hey bud, did you do the transfer? If so, what email address did you send to?

17. JamstationP85D

[email protected]

Send pic of drivers license, ownership, vin. I didn’t get any response for 10 days until they told me it was completed. I was then able to add the car to the app and Tesla.com

18. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

Before I even got to your comment that was going to be my one piece of advice also. I would advise against getting scanners and third party tools and digging into those minute details. You're going to obsess and probably worry yourself and give yourself an ulcer in finding that some number(s) are +/- 1 from someone's "expected" value that they told you it "should" have, and you're going to think your car is broken or messed up or something.

You don't have specific expectations going into it; don't give yourself any.

• Like x 2
  19. Gutch

Gutch Member

Thanks for that information. That’s fantastic news!

20. Gutch

Gutch Member

Understood, i already have too many ulcers!
    Out of curiosity, do you know what the latest software version is? Also, will I automatically get updates if my car isnt synced to me?
    Thanks in advance.