Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waves in door Anyone else have this issue???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised nobody else has pointed this out with their Model Ys, it would be immediately obvious to anyone that washes their car by hand or inspects their car for parking lot damage routinely.

I've mentioned previously:

on reddit:
White Model Y Paint Mottling, Tiger Stripes and yellow bumper : teslamotors

I've gone to a Tesla certified body shop and as he was walking around the car (we were looking at the bad paint) and said there's a dent here, oh and another one, and I said, actually that's a design flaw in all Model Ys that can be seen in almost all MYs and he was dumbfounded.

My car didn’t have the “waves” you described, however I had large 3D swirls on the front passenger door which appeared only in direct sunlight. They were apparently caused by the wax treatment during detailing at the service center before delivery. Fortunately they were easily removed when I brought the car back to the SC.

If you have to stand at a certain perfect angle and light to see an aspect of the paint that doesn’t affect form, fit, or function, Tesla will not likely fix it under “warranty” because there is nothing to fix. It is what it is.

I just wish tesla would stop shipping cars with dirt in the paint, paint chips, and other obvious damage. It’s costing them money!

Reactions: decrypt
I just wish tesla would stop shipping cars with dirt in the paint, paint chips, and other obvious damage. It’s costing them money!
IIRC, Tesla is still painting the MY in a temporary structure (some call it a tent). In a real spray booth there is no way dirt could/would get in there. Until Tesla moves painting in to a permanent structure we may see no end to their paint issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
This confuses me still.. I got the car Monday, it's not Saturday.. I made them aware of the issues within 7 days.. The closest appointment I can get is the 21st... They're aware of the issues..
I’d return it. Making them aware of the issues doesn’t mean much.

Once your 7 day window closes, you’re at the whim of Tesla. At the corporate level this seems to mean things become “within spec”, but you could be spared if you have a good local SC.

This confuses me still.. I got the car Monday, it's not Saturday.. I made them aware of the issues within 7 days.. The closest appointment I can get is the 21st... They're aware of the issues..

if you can’t live with this, return the car, don’t wait for a service appointment, just go there and insist on your return within your 7 days

for sure, service will consider this within spec and not fix

IIRC, Tesla is still painting the MY in a temporary structure (some call it a tent). In a real spray booth there is no way dirt could/would get in there. Until Tesla moves painting in to a permanent structure we may see no end to their paint issues.

Ah, NO, Tesla is NOT painting cars "in a temporary structure" or a tent. Please.

Sorry, but I'm probably OCD and this video looks a bit absurd.

OP: Go look at reflections in any BLACK, non-Tesla and you'll see many of these same "defects." Life is far too short to be so absorbed about something you only noticed in passing, after having owned your Model Y for almost 7 days.

YES, Tesla needs to step up their paint game, and fire any/all the saboteurs from Ford, GM, FCA, and/or the UAW, but jeesh, there's an entire planet to save here.

Get with the program and realign your priorities. (But, if you don't like it, return it. And don't buy a black car, of any brand, next time: they're way too hot in the sun and that wastes lots of energy, and they show all dirt and every friggin' paint "blemish." Just re-order in a new color and be happy:)