Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WaWa is supposed to give us free charging. Not so in Middletown, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the supercharger in Middletown, DE yesterday. According to all I have read WaWa’s are supposed to be giving us free charging. Tesla charged my American Express for the Supercharge. What’s up with that? Tesla says it‘s free but it is not!

Please respond if you have had a similar issue.

MariaC

Where have you seen WaWa is supposed to be giving free charging? I know the WaWa's in FL do not advertise that.
Tesla drivers can charge their Tesla vehicles at Wawas with charging stations for absolutely zero fees. This is a result of Wawa collaborating with Tesla to incorporate Tesla's free public charging stations with Wawa's one-stop-shopping experience.Jan 3, 2022. Google it!

That article is incredibly misleading. To clarify:

Wawa does not charge you for charging a Tesla.

Tesla does charge you based on the energy you add to your vehicle.

Again, you’re paying Tesla, not Wawa. The article makes it sound as if charging is free, which is not the case unless you have a Tesla with free unlimited supercharging.

Tesla is very transparent about this. If you click the supercharger pin on the in-car navigation map, it will display the fee list for that particular location.

Last edited:
All I see is an article on a random blog that doesn't appear to be affiliated with Tesla or Wawa.

Same here - I think that article is intentionally extremely misleading. They aren't talking about the cost of electricity - they're talking about the ability to park there are plug in your vehicle with no parking fees imposed by WaWa.

Tesla drivers can charge their Tesla vehicles at Wawas with charging stations for absolutely zero fees. This is a result of Wawa collaborating with Tesla to incorporate Tesla's free public charging stations with Wawa's one-stop-shopping experience.Jan 3, 2022. Google it!

"Google it!"

Or you could google it and provide a link here to the article you are referencing.

I used the supercharger in Middletown, DE yesterday. According to all I have read WaWa’s are supposed to be giving us free charging. Tesla charged my American Express for the Supercharge. What’s up with that? Tesla says it‘s free but it is not!

Please respond if you have had a similar issue.

MariaC
OMG, Did it cost one gallon of gas? whats the world coming too?

1648329475380.png

That article is incredibly misleading. To clarify:

Wawa does not charge you for charging a Tesla.

Tesla does charge you based on the energy you add to your vehicle.

Again, you’re paying Tesla, not Wawa. The article makes it sound as if charging is free, which is not the case unless you have a Tesla with free unlimited supercharging.

Tesla is very transparent about this. If you click the supercharger pin on the in-car navigation map, it will display the fee list for that particular location.
Hi Eare: You are 100% correct. I spoke to Tesla. The articles are misleading and are spinning a tale.

Reactions: Big Earl
…and I just filled up my X for a total of $0.00. (Lifetime free charging is great and causing me consternation on upgrading to the Plaid😊)
I have a 2012 P85 and 2017 X100D with free lifetime charging. When I charge my Plaid (the rare occasions that I do) it is a joy to watch how fast it charges (and how SLOW my other two Teslas charge!) - well worth the little cost of a charge!!

I have a 2012 P85 and 2017 X100D with free lifetime charging. When I charge my Plaid (the rare occasions that I do) it is a joy to watch how fast it charges (and how SLOW my other two Teslas charge!) - well worth the little cost of a charge!!
This vindicates my decision to skip a few years and go straight from 2015 85D to 2020LR+ - which I'm collecting on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to considerably faster charging on road trips.

Reactions: jthompson
Hello, first time took my Model Y to be charged at the Tesla Supercharger. Surprised to see that charging cost per kWh came out to be $0.41. It cost me $20 to charge 49 kWh (from 20% to 80%). Is this what I should be expecting?

Hello, first time took my Model Y to be charged at the Tesla Supercharger. Surprised to see that charging cost per kWh came out to be $0.41. It cost me $20 to charge 49 kWh (from 20% to 80%). Is this what I should be expecting?
Yes.

You can tap the supercharger pins on the map to view the price at each location. Some are more expensive than others, and some have different rates at different times of day.

Supercharging currently works out to about 10-12¢ per mile, which is equivalent to 50 MPG gasoline.