Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wax recommended for Pearl?

OldPro

Sep 11, 2020
San Diego
Are there any recommendations for wax specifically for the Pearl color? Either spray wax or paste wax.
I'm looking for something I can apply by hand and then buff lightly with a small electric hand buffer...any recommendations
are appreciated. I am an experienced "do it yourself" type of owner...used to be a detailer as a kid working his way thru college.

bpobill

Feb 2, 2018
USA
Any recommendations for pearl paint? No, clear coated paint is all the same. There are thousands of waxes and they all do the same thing. Put on a layer of wax over the paint. Clay bar your car, wax it, then use turtle wax seal and shine after you wash it every single time. It’s very cheap. You won’t need to wax it probably ever again. Maybe once a year. There is lots of hype and buzz words in the car detailing world, and most of it is boloney.

source: I have a garage full of products and detailing equipment. From cheap to expensive.

imschur

Feb 14, 2021
Chicago, IL
I'm lazy and mine's a daily driver so I went the quick and easy route right after delivery. Hit it with CarPro Iron-X to remove any rail dust, quick wash with CarPro Reset, threw a little ONR in the same wash bucket, clayed it fast with Meguiars Speed Clay, then 2 coats (10CC) of Optimu Opti-Coat. Bingo - done for 3 years and I'll take it through a car wash. White is easy to keep clean, looking good and doesn't show off every minor paint swirl when it has depth. I do opt-coat yellow vette - and it still looks amazing after 15 years.

Look into the DIY ceramics IMO, you'll save a ton of time over the long haul - I was a liquid-glass, then Zaino head for years, but these are so much easier. Sprits a little Z-8 on it when you want show.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
Any recommendations for pearl paint? No, clear coated paint is all the same. There are thousands of waxes and they all do the same thing. Put on a layer of wax over the paint. Clay bar your car, wax it, then use turtle wax seal and shine after you wash it every single time. It’s very cheap. You won’t need to wax it probably ever again. Maybe once a year. There is lots of hype and buzz words in the car detailing world, and most of it is boloney.

source: I have a garage full of products and detailing equipment. From cheap to expensive.
This is probably the best answer I've read on TMC on the wax subject.

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
Are there any recommendations for wax specifically for the Pearl color? Either spray wax or paste wax.
I'm looking for something I can apply by hand and then buff lightly with a small electric hand buffer...any recommendations
are appreciated. I am an experienced "do it yourself" type of owner...used to be a detailer as a kid working his way thru college.

Here you go. Made just for you, even with a white Tesla on the bottle:

joebruin77

Dec 23, 2018
Encino, CA
I agree with the recommendations suggested. Here are two other factors to consider:

1) What is the condition of your paint? Do you have any minor swirls or oxidation? If so, here is a great product you can apply before your wax. I have used it on my wife's Honda. It is a polishing glaze that fills in minor scratches and swirls and it is formulated for lighter color cars. The gloss it leaves behind is truly amazing. You can apply your favorite wax on top of it. The combo is awesome!

2) Do you have any PPF on your car? If so, just make sure the wax you choose is safe for PPF and does not contain a high concentration of naphtha or kerosene.

Reactions: TBrownTX

TheRFMan

Dec 15, 2019
Ottawa, Canada
If you want to stick to a wax-style product, Soft99 Fusso Coat (Light) is probably your best bet. Should last a year. It's more of a sealant than a wax, but it works great. Collinite 845 is also a tried and true favourite, the shine and gloss are amazing. It is a wax, so it will be gone after a few months.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC