Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wax recommended for Pearl?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any recommendations for wax specifically for the Pearl color? Either spray wax or paste wax.
I'm looking for something I can apply by hand and then buff lightly with a small electric hand buffer...any recommendations
are appreciated. I am an experienced "do it yourself" type of owner...used to be a detailer as a kid working his way thru college.

Any recommendations for pearl paint? No, clear coated paint is all the same. There are thousands of waxes and they all do the same thing. Put on a layer of wax over the paint. Clay bar your car, wax it, then use turtle wax seal and shine after you wash it every single time. It’s very cheap. You won’t need to wax it probably ever again. Maybe once a year. There is lots of hype and buzz words in the car detailing world, and most of it is boloney.

source: I have a garage full of products and detailing equipment. From cheap to expensive.

I'm lazy and mine's a daily driver so I went the quick and easy route right after delivery. Hit it with CarPro Iron-X to remove any rail dust, quick wash with CarPro Reset, threw a little ONR in the same wash bucket, clayed it fast with Meguiars Speed Clay, then 2 coats (10CC) of Optimu Opti-Coat. Bingo - done for 3 years and I'll take it through a car wash. White is easy to keep clean, looking good and doesn't show off every minor paint swirl when it has depth. I do opt-coat yellow vette - and it still looks amazing after 15 years.

Look into the DIY ceramics IMO, you'll save a ton of time over the long haul - I was a liquid-glass, then Zaino head for years, but these are so much easier. Sprits a little Z-8 on it when you want show.

Any recommendations for pearl paint? No, clear coated paint is all the same. There are thousands of waxes and they all do the same thing. Put on a layer of wax over the paint. Clay bar your car, wax it, then use turtle wax seal and shine after you wash it every single time. It’s very cheap. You won’t need to wax it probably ever again. Maybe once a year. There is lots of hype and buzz words in the car detailing world, and most of it is boloney.

source: I have a garage full of products and detailing equipment. From cheap to expensive.
This is probably the best answer I've read on TMC on the wax subject.

Are there any recommendations for wax specifically for the Pearl color? Either spray wax or paste wax.
I'm looking for something I can apply by hand and then buff lightly with a small electric hand buffer...any recommendations
are appreciated. I am an experienced "do it yourself" type of owner...used to be a detailer as a kid working his way thru college.

Here you go. Made just for you, even with a white Tesla on the bottle:

I agree with the recommendations suggested. Here are two other factors to consider:

1) What is the condition of your paint? Do you have any minor swirls or oxidation? If so, here is a great product you can apply before your wax. I have used it on my wife's Honda. It is a polishing glaze that fills in minor scratches and swirls and it is formulated for lighter color cars. The gloss it leaves behind is truly amazing. You can apply your favorite wax on top of it. The combo is awesome!

2) Do you have any PPF on your car? If so, just make sure the wax you choose is safe for PPF and does not contain a high concentration of naphtha or kerosene.

Reactions: TBrownTX
If you want to stick to a wax-style product, Soft99 Fusso Coat (Light) is probably your best bet. Should last a year. It's more of a sealant than a wax, but it works great. Collinite 845 is also a tried and true favourite, the shine and gloss are amazing. It is a wax, so it will be gone after a few months.

I use seal n shine and swear by it. Do you plan on adding ppf anywhere? Also, what’s the best technique that you use to keep the interior windshield clean and smudge free?

what’s the best technique that you use to keep the interior windshield clean and smudge free?

I learned this technique from youtuber ChrisFix:

Get some good quality glass towels, glass cleaning spray such as Invisible Glass, and a Magic Eraser

1) Wipe down the inside of the windshield using a clean, dry glass towel.
2) Place the Magic Eraser in some warm water to activate it, wring it out, and then use the Magic Eraser to thoroughly clean the inside of the windshield.
3) Dry any water or residue left by the Magic Eraser using a clean, dry glass towel.
4) Spray some glass cleaning solution onto a glass towel and wipe down the entire inside of the windshield.
5) Dry with a clean, dry glass towel.

If your windshield is not that dirty, you can skip the Magic Eraser step.

Do invest in some good quality glass cleaning towels. Regular microfiber towels will leave little fibers all over your glass. I just got these from Griot's Garage and I really like them:

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Anyone have any experience with those spray on ceramic coatings on their Tesla? It worked great (at least I thought so) on my Bolt.
Are you referring to ceramic spray sealants? If so, I have tried a bunch of them and they are awesome. My two favorites are Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal and Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Wax. Both of these sealants are "hybrids" that contain ceramic, carnauba wax, and polymers. So you get the protection from ceramic and polymers along with the shine and warm glow of carnauba.

Reactions: makirules
Are you referring to ceramic spray sealants? If so, I have tried a bunch of them and they are awesome. My two favorites are Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal and Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Wax. Both of these sealants are "hybrids" that contain ceramic, carnauba wax, and polymers. So you get the protection from ceramic and polymers along with the shine and warm glow of carnauba.
I think so. I have to go look at the bottle I have.