Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waxing Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using the same wax I use on my other cars, basic Carnauba wax without cleaners. I think I use Mothers, but might be Meguiers. I have noticed that I have to wax the Tesla more frequently than my other cars, the beading doesn't last as long. I haven't jumped on the ceramic coating bandwagon yet.....concerned about long term effects of these coatings. Plus, I actually enjoy waxing my car, so doing it every few months isn't a chore to me.

I've been using the same wax I use on my other cars, basic Carnauba wax without cleaners. I think I use Mothers, but might be Meguiers. I have noticed that I have to wax the Tesla more frequently than my other cars, the beading doesn't last as long. I haven't jumped on the ceramic coating bandwagon yet.....concerned about long term effects of these coatings. Plus, I actually enjoy waxing my car, so doing it every few months isn't a chore to me.

I haven't heard about a ceramic coating. I'll have to research it a bit, thx

Getting the best gloss becomes a religious experience for many.

Meguiars says the best wax is the one you use regularly.

Like many, I wash my car when it gets dirty, wax it once or twice a year, and go about my life.

"nobody washes a rental car :)"

I would recommend upgrading from Carnauba Wax to Synthetic Sealant. Not to be confused with Ceramic Coating. Synthetic Sealant is exactly like Carnauba Wax except it's Synthetic so it lasts longer and provides better protection from the element. It is not a semi-permanent coating like Ceramic. It lasts 3-6 months depending on conditions. Synthetic Sealant is easily removed with clay bar. It's a little more expensive than carnauba, but not much. It's also just as easy to apply. I would not layer Synthetic on top of Carnauba, you would want to claybar the car first to get back to a clean surface. My 2 cents.

On my S, I use IGL F4 Renew. Goes on easy and comes off easy. I have not found anything that gives me a higher shine (at least according to my gloss meter). Give it a try.

I saw a video from Apex Detail on Youtube about this product. I am really intrigued by it. It is one of the first products on the market to contain graphene. Some consider graphene products to be the next Big Thing in detailing, perhaps eventually surpassing ceramic coatings in protection and gloss.

To answer the OP's question, traditional carnauba waxes give a great gloss and shine, but they are the least durable paint protection products and usually wear off in a few weeks. Polymer sealants last much longer, but some claim they offer more of a "candy coated" shine rather than a warm glow of the carbauba wax. There are some more advanced and recent sealants on the market that claim to offer the protection of a sealant and the look/glow of carnauba wax.

Then there is the world of ceramic coatings and Paint Protection Film, which are really advanced (and expensive) paint protection options.

I personally like to use ceramic-infused spray sealants. My current one is The Last Coat 2.0. I love the gloss, shine, slickness, and protection.

If you want a great polymer sealant at a great price, check out Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. This is a polymer sealant spray that contains a bit of carnauba wax. And at $10 a bottle, you can't beat it in terms of value.

Wax On Wax Off.jpg

I use NuFinish , then top with Meguiar’s hybrid cereamic spray wax.

I used to have a civic, the NuFinish last for 9months to a year. It prevents those orange rust spot on my paint during Canadian winter.

The cereamic spray makes it more hydrophobic and easy to wash. Spray another layer and rinse it off after washing.

washed my carats night in 15 min at those self serve spray car wash station. I did use my microfibre cloth lightly a bit to get the road grime out. Like put the cloth on top of wet body and drag it along with no pressure( ok that’s another 5-10 min)

Attachments

• AB40EFFA-1340-473F-B346-A70020E7C2DF.jpeg
    AB40EFFA-1340-473F-B346-A70020E7C2DF.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 235
The Model 3 has normal car paint like every other car on the road. Buy whatever wax you want, they all do the same exact thing.

Tesla paint seems to be softer than the paint on my last 3 cars (Subaru, Chevy, and Audi). Perhaps because of stricter environmental regulations in California. And that front bumper is a magnet for bugs, dirt, and debris. It seems like this car really needs good paint protection.

It really isn’t true all waxes do the exact same thing. They vary tremendously in gloss, slickness, and, most importantly, durability/protection.

One specific factor to check out is whether or not a particular wax or sealant will stain plastic trim. Some traditional carnauba waxes will stain black trim white. Very annoying to remove. That’s one reason I like spray sealants like The Last Coat 2.0 . They can be used on all exterior surfaces, including trim.

Reactions: Thp3