Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Way of understanding kWh loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there an app out there that would allow me to view the charge history and the charge burn down between charges?

Example of one application:

Two and a half weeks ago, I charged to 90% at a supercharger.

Today, I went to recharge. I had 25 miles left, but had only driven 186 miles, with 65.8 kWh consumed. Assuming I drove about the same rate for the remaining 25kwh, I used 75 kWh, meaning I lost 15kwh somewhere.

Either the car doesn’t report the amount of kWh used correctly, or 15kwh were lost over the past 12 days overnight.

So, other than the original question of whether someone has written something to get the data from the car, I a little over 1kwh loss a day normal?

Thanks!

is there an app out there that would allow me to view the charge history and the charge burn down between charges?

Example of one application:

Two and a half weeks ago, I charged to 90% at a supercharger.

Today, I went to recharge. I had 25 miles left, but had only driven 186 miles, with 65.8 kWh consumed. Assuming I drove about the same rate for the remaining 25kwh, I used 75 kWh, meaning I lost 15kwh somewhere.

Either the car doesn’t report the amount of kWh used correctly, or 15kwh were lost over the past 12 days overnight.

So, other than the original question of whether someone has written something to get the data from the car, I a little over 1kwh loss a day normal?

Thanks!

You did not charge at all during the 12 days? I typically drop 1-2 percent overnight on my S90D, so the 15kwh in nearly two weeks seems about right to me, if not better than normal. Best practice calls for the car to be plugged in when not in use. I am always plugged in whenever I can (which is usually).

I just was gone for 6.5 days and used 15 rated miles. With energy saving on and always connected on, in an un heated but insulated garage. I did the math and figure it is about a 35 watt continuous drain. This power usage will not show on the car displays.

Oh, and get an outlet installed. Nothing beats the simple joy of leaving every day with a full charge regardless of what driving you have done lately.

I use TeslaFi to monitor the car. You can get a free trial to check it out. Make sure your TeslaFi settings allow the car to sleep.

1 kWh/day is OK. The car is sleeping. You can do a little better (30%-50%) if your settings are good and you don't walk towards the car with your fob all the time.

If you are looking at the trip data for the kWh data, it will be low. It does not include vampire losses and probably climate power usage also. Plenty of threads try to reconcile those numbers but they just don't add up. Ultimately the RM reported by the battery gauge is your best estimate of what's left in the battery, You can convert them to kWh if you like, with a simple constant. But even that is just a best estimate.

And of course, RM is independent of your driving style and conditions, not a prediction of how many more miles you can drive.