Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Way to Save Money to get the Homelink Garage Door Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a friend of mine works for Tesla delivery. He says there are times where front bumpers get damaged during shipping and they simply will take the bumper off another car to swap to ensure a customers delivery is not postponed. He does it with the car on the ground and it literally takes 10 minutes to remove the bumper. Very easy.

I mention how easy it is because I ordered a used Homelink module from Ebay for 150 shipped. I'm installing it myself (just one bolt holds it on) and have an appointment Monday to program it. My Tesla service guy says that will cost around $20 and is very fast.

Basically, if you are competent at using tools and want to save at least $100, then just buy a used module and have tesla program it. I've seen them sell closer to 125 but I spent a little extra for faster shipping and it came with the plastic bracket along with the one mounting bolt.

Good news. I just got through taking the bumper off and installing the Homelink module. The bracket is not necessary to order because my SR+ JULY 2019 build date had the bracket already there (the harness and plug were taped up behind where the module would install). This is good news because now you can buy a used module only which can be as cheap as $100. Again, no need to find or buy miscellaneous brackets or bolts. The bumper removal and reinstall only took 20 minutes. I'll post some tips and a how to later with pics.

Good news. I just got through taking the bumper off and installing the Homelink module. The bracket is not necessary to order because my SR+ JULY 2019 build date had the bracket already there (the harness and plug were taped up behind where the module would install). This is good news because now you can buy a used module only which can be as cheap as $100. Again, no need to find or buy miscellaneous brackets or bolts. The bumper removal and reinstall only took 20 minutes. I'll post some tips and a how to later with pics.
You mean as a DIY option or still needing a service appointment?

You mean as a DIY option or still needing a service appointment?
It is both. You save by installing the hardware and still need the service center to turn the software portion on so it's on your screen. I have an appointment with the service center tomorrow for that. I was quoted about $20 to do the programming. Supposed to be fast too so no need to drop off. Also, it reduces the risk of a technician rushing the removal of your bumper and damaging your paint.

• Helpful
Reactions: tracksyde
Just got the Homelink option programmed on to the car. It is confirmed. You can buy just an used Homelink module and have a service center reconfigure your computer to show it as an option. It was very cheap but I do recommend calling your local service center to get the reconfiguration quote. Remember to mention that you are the one installing the module before bringing it in to them.

Reactions: TheJDJ
Something like this should be a full do it yourself project. We all now have laptops and we should be able to do something this simple to the car. I'm no computer brain, but I can see this work similar to docker or github where you log into the account using your tesla information. Download what file you are in need of and the way you go. Heck, make it like an App store, charge a few bucks if needed.

Reactions: LoL Rick
Just got the Homelink option programmed on to the car. It is confirmed. You can buy just an used Homelink module and have a service center reconfigure your computer to show it as an option. It was very cheap but I do recommend calling your local service center to get the reconfiguration quote. Remember to mention that you are the one installing the module before bringing it in to them.

Cool find. Thanks for sharing.