Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Way to See USB Current Location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In some situations I've found that listening to audiobooks on USB is the best. I recently listened to an eleven-hour book over the course of ten drives. I know I can play via my phone, but that has some disadvantages.

Since the interface doesn't keep track of where you were on previous listens, I need to note the current location so that I can resume there on the next drive. However, it doesn't show this, and I can't tap to figure it out without moving the location.

Has anyone figured out a way to non-destructively determine the current location?

Vent: What is wrong with these interface designers? They think that showing the current location would make the screen to messy/cluttered? In V10, they only displayed the time remaining, but if you tried to scrub, you saw the time elapsed.

What is wrong with these interface designers? They think that showing the current location would make the screen to messy/cluttered? In V10, they only displayed the time remaining, but if you tried to scrub, you saw the time elapsed.

It looks like they:
  • Designed for the best case (video gamers in office) rather than safety-challenging cases (older eyeballs, not so dexterous, driving in highway traffic with weather conditions).
  • Copied desktop UIs too much ("recents"!) rather than considering driving needs (predictability, glanceable info, operable with a moving touch screen).
  • Confused simplification with hiding.
  • Over-relied on automation and voice input, both of which are unreliable and limited.
  • Assumed all drivers have the same needs. (E.g. new drivers like with car rentals & test drives and rare drivers taking turns on a road trip won't know the positions of buttons nor be able to read through the Controls screen.)
  • Ignored last year's feedback about hard-to-read text, overly small map & backup camera, and info obscured by a hand on the steering wheel, and instead added yet more toys.
  • Lost sight of design subtleties like status visible in the seat heater, profile, bluetooth, cell, and dashcam "buttons."
  • Did not do usability tests, at least not with a variety of drivers in a variety of environments.