Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wayland Invitational IV Electric Drag Races!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was just out on NPR. Some good coverage from the Wayland Invite :biggrin:

That whole trip down to Portland was a blast. Problems and all. My thanks to all who helped us out on that 2nd day; especially John for lending us his much relied upon aux battery and Otmar for upgrading code in our Zilla, swapping us his controller and for overall help troubleshooting our problem.

NPR Media Player

Scalding A Quarter-Mile In An Electric Ford Pinto : NPR

Mike

This was just out on NPR. Some good coverage from the Wayland Invite :biggrin:

That whole trip down to Portland was a blast. Problems and all. My thanks to all who helped us out on that 2nd day; especially John for lending us his much relied upon aux battery and Otmar for upgrading code in our Zilla, swapping us his controller and for overall help troubleshooting our problem.

NPR Media Player

Scalding A Quarter-Mile In An Electric Ford Pinto : NPR

Mike

Here's a better version of this clip. Seems like Mr Fogherty made this one special for OPB

http://stream1.opb.org/media/news/2009/08/0805CF_EVdragsters.mp3.m3u

James' next conversion project?

Nope. It will look more like this...

Factory%20Five%20GTM.jpg

From Tesla's September Newsletter:
Drag race your Roadster!
We are currently delivering the Roadster Sport, an even higher performance car that does 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds, compared to 3.9 seconds for the standard Roadster. This car is seriously fun -- faster than most other street-legal cars, even Ferraris and Lamborghinis with far higher sticker prices. The Roadster Sport includes a more powerful motor, custom-tuned suspension and forged wheels.​
Less than 24 hours after receiving his new car in July, Seattle-area customer James Morrison drove his Sport 180 miles to Portland, Oregon, site of the famed Wayland Invitational Drag Race. High-performance driver Scotty Pollacheck grabbed the wheel of James' car and sprinted the quarter-mile in 12.643 seconds -- a record for the National Electric Drag Racing Association.

drag_racing_teslas.jpg

Here's a curious bit of data for budget-conscious drag racers or anyone interested in EV efficiency: Each quarter-mile run in a Roadster Sport costs eight to 16 cents if you're burning up the track and trying to set new records. By contrast, a quarter-mile sprint at similar speeds in a conventional gas guzzler would cost $5 to $26 per sprint, based on current gasoline prices...​

This used to be "the thread" for Tesla drag racing but now we have some more:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/3242-ev-drag-racing-la-irwindale-drag-strip.html
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/3197-power-d-c.html

I decided to post here again because I just saw a TV show where someone was trying to break Wayland's record ([email protected]).

The show was "G-Word" on "Planet Green HD" channel.

They had a segment on Matt Graham of "Joule Injected" (cute) racing.
He had the requisite "Siamese" motors,
MotorsandMount003.jpg

and borrowed a 370V Li-Ion pack and fitted a Zilla for the run.
Unfortunately he didn't get anywhere near Wayland's record as the motor started to throw sparks and limited top speed. (I guess White Zombie has custom motor work done to take the extra power).

Re: [FLEAA] G word on Green Planet
[EVDL] Fw: Electric Drag Racing on Planet Green's G Word show, October 16th and 17th - DIY Electric Car Forums
Yahoo! Groups

Last edited: