TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Waymo to customers: “Completely driverless Waymo cars are on the way”

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by Daniel in SD, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

• Like x 3
  2. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Hopefully this will go better than the Smart Summon rollout.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

#3 Daniel in SD, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    The vehicles will have to be in the line of sight of and less than 200 feet away from a Waymo employee so it should be no problem.

They are capable of driving the cars remotely, that's how they plan to deal with situations where the vehicle gets stuck. I'm assuming they're not going to just have people remotely monitor the vehicles continuously for this rollout, that would be silly.

4. alsetym

alsetym Member

Wow, it's interesting that there are still many pundits that said...even this summer...that they don't think self driving is even close. And yet, here we are! Next question, how quickly will they be able to grow their boundaries and how far behind is GM?

• Like x 1
  5. electracity

electracity Active Member

I am sure they will initially have a full time remote human monitor for each vehicle. They are simply moving the safety driver to a remote location. Baby steps.

6. electracity

electracity Active Member

Are you saying that Testa Taxi is still months away?

• Funny x 3
  7. vickh

vickh Active Member

I hope google/chrysler will one day make a consumer version of the tech.

So far the safety tech and the plug in PHEV is only reason I'm considering the Pacifica. Problem is unlike Tesla it's only available for the highest trims and they have a lot of reliability issues

• Informative x 1
  8. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

Well sure, 2020 is three months away. So 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely.

• Funny x 2
  9. DanCar

DanCar Member

With or without a safety driver?

10. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

Well actually if you ask me, neither. :)

11. alanbyvale

alanbyvale Member

Of course all these autonomous carriers use a different system to Tesla. They ring fence an area then map it to within an inch meaning their cars only have to avoid humans and moveable objects (Not an easy thing I know). Tesla want the car to be able to drive anywhere in the world and know how to react to any circumstance. A totally different plan and one that is going to be many, many years in the future given how poor summons is.

12. croman

croman Active Member

Sometimes you need a crutch. No shame in that. Arrogance and hubris have brought down Gods.

13. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member