Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo to customers: “Completely driverless Waymo cars are on the way”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully this will go better than the Smart Summon rollout.
The vehicles will have to be in the line of sight of and less than 200 feet away from a Waymo employee so it should be no problem.

They are capable of driving the cars remotely, that's how they plan to deal with situations where the vehicle gets stuck. I'm assuming they're not going to just have people remotely monitor the vehicles continuously for this rollout, that would be silly.

Last edited:
Wow, it's interesting that there are still many pundits that said...even this summer...that they don't think self driving is even close. And yet, here we are! Next question, how quickly will they be able to grow their boundaries and how far behind is GM?

Reactions: croman
I hope google/chrysler will one day make a consumer version of the tech.

So far the safety tech and the plug in PHEV is only reason I'm considering the Pacifica. Problem is unlike Tesla it's only available for the highest trims and they have a lot of reliability issues

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Of course all these autonomous carriers use a different system to Tesla. They ring fence an area then map it to within an inch meaning their cars only have to avoid humans and moveable objects (Not an easy thing I know). Tesla want the car to be able to drive anywhere in the world and know how to react to any circumstance. A totally different plan and one that is going to be many, many years in the future given how poor summons is.

Yep, Waymo is good at marketing stunts. No driver and no passengers. What is in question is passengers yes, and no one else in the car. If it has been happening, how come no one has posted a video?
You're right that they're probably phasing it in very slowly. Here's a video from a reporter:
There aren't many video of any rides on YouTube. I assume that's because the videos would be very boring!

You're right that they're probably phasing it in very slowly. Here's a video from a reporter:
There aren't many video of any rides on YouTube. I assume that's because the videos would be very boring!
There are zero videos of independent people riding a driverless Waymo with no Waymo employees. I'm sure this is because it isn't happening. It would be far from boring, much more likely a video that would go viral.

Last edited:
@DanCar Likely for the same reason there aren’t tons of any independent Waymo videos on YouTube or the like.

The early riders are under NDA.

I agree it would be an interesting video.
There is no NDA anymore. It is weird how there are so few videos on YouTube.
D5V-V-FUEAAPIy5.png

Reactions: DanCar