TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Waymo, Uber Surprise With Settlement in Self-Driving Tech Suit

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by TMC Staff, Feb 9, 2018.

1. TMC Staff

Uber and Google’s subsidiary Waymo announced a settlement Friday valued at $245 million in a major trade secrets trial related to self-driving car technology. Attendees in a San Francisco courtroom reportedly gasped when Federal District Judge William Alsup announced the surprise settlement, which was expected to last for weeks. The trial kicked off Monday and included...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I liked Elon's explaination of why LIDAR might be insufficient. I recommend people interested in the topic look it up. It's in the latest 2017Q4 investor's conference call at IR.Tesla.Com. NASDAQ links to a mediocrely accurate transcript of it (use search engine for that), which is at that damned FUD site.

However, when answering, Elon also dismissed the utility of seeing better than humans using other types, positioning, number and cost of sensors, if I recall correctly, via omission to answer the part of the query that included those possibilities, other than to say he had confidence in their approach at this time.

(For the record, I'm an advocate of a very high and very redundant number of very cheap sensors of all types, including infrared, passive x-ray, etc. Also, I have lots of ideas of how to interpret that data, and make use of databases. I'm also an advocate of more processing power and more networking. I don't work on that stuff and Elon does, so there's that. But, it's interesting to myself and probably no one else that what I advocate doesn't happen to conflict with Elon's anti-LIDAR stance, although at one point I was curious if making LIDAR cheaper would help. That's why I like Elon's explaination: it basically explains why it probably is not that great an idea, and I understand its basis, whether or not I agree with that basis being extrapolated out to my other ideas, which Elon did not do in the conference call (but didn't verbally exclude except to say he has confidence in their current approach).)

3. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

• Love x 1