Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They can't really scale anywhere until they pull rain drivers. It's not viable to have a thousand safety drivers on call.

Agreed and Waymo knows that. That is why Waymo is actively working to be able to remove safety drivers in rain as soon as possible. They did 6 months of testing in Bellevue, WA this year to test the Waymo Driver in rain and Dolgov provided an update recently that the Waymo Driver can handle rain, wet roads and puddles safely and smoothly. So I suspect Waymo is close to removing safety drivers in rain. They are probably just finishing validation. I predict Waymo will remove safety drivers in Q1 or Q2 of 2023.

No. Apparently they're starting to test freeways again, at least a little, but they won't talk about timetables.

Waymo teased back in Sept that they were testing on highways. They have not talked about a timetable because if they have been ramping up testing since Sept, I predict they will do driverless on highways Q2 of 2023.

As others have said, no, Waymo does not do driverless in highways yet. But they ramped up testing back in Sept. So I suspect they will finish validation soon and then add highways to their driverless rides. It could just be a few months before they do add highways.
Airports are usually at the end of highways .... and you need to travel on freeways/highways to get to the city. Or for that matter from suburb to city. Surprised Waymo is finding it so difficult to include freeways. I mean NOA does a decent job ...

Airports are usually at the end of highways .... and you need to travel on freeways/highways to get to the city. Or for that matter from suburb to city. Surprised Waymo is finding it so difficult to include freeways. I mean NOA does a decent job ...

Waymo is not finding it difficult to include freeways. It is simply a matter of validating to make sure the system is safe. Doing a "decent job" is fine if you require driver supervision. If there is a problem, the driver can take over to prevent a crash. But with driverless, there is no safety driver to take over if there is a problem. And the car is traveling 70+ mph so any mistake could be deadly! You better have high confidence the car can safely ALL highway scenarios in a split second if need be. It is a much higher standard. So it takes a lot longer to validate. I expect Waymo will take their time to fully validate safety and make sure it is safe on the highway.

Waymo did highways in 2009. Zero decapitations.
And a bunch after launching Waymo and a bunch now. But didn’t you know? If it has a driver it doesn’t count unless it’s Tesla. Then having a driver behind the system still count.

Tesla with a driver that needs to grab the wheel every min to prevent a crash = It Works!

Waymo with a drive for extra precautions = It doesn’t work! Lidar & HD Map is doomed!

Reactions: diplomat33
What I really meant to ask is whether any of the the luggage spce is occupied by the FSD hardware or is it as delivered by the manufacturer?

The Waymo compute is small enough that it does not take up any luggage space. She says travelers will be able to use the entire 25.3 cubic ft. Here is a quote from Waymo Product Manager, Sonca Nguyen, on a recent podcast:

"The vehicles operating at Sky Harbor will be the Jaguar I-PACEs which have 25.3 cubic feet of cargo space. This space can hold 5 roller carry-on bags and will be available for travelers to store their bags on the journey to their destination, as the Waymo compute stack has gotten significantly smaller and more efficient over the years."

I hope that helps to answer your question.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji
What I really meant to ask is whether any of the the luggage spce is occupied by the FSD hardware or is it as delivered by the manufacturer?
A small space is taken up by what appears to be coolant reservoir / pump and radiator but the vast majority is open to use. The FSD hardware are below the trunk.

MvPf3tr.gif

I actually don't trust anything I see a Waymo do unless proven otherwise. It could be the remote operator's decision making. For example, that brief pause before deciding to go could be the remote operator. We'll never know because Waymo keeps it all a secret.

No one should trust anything that comes out of Waymo when it's from an employee or anyone related to Waymo. It's possible that they have more remote vigilance in cases where they know marketing material can be made.