Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not pointless. You have to start somewhere. FSD is a work in progress. Waymo's FSD will get better.

You wrote that the safety drivers are just there in case the car gets stuck. That is clearly nonsense.

If they're having to disengage every 10k miles they aren't there for the car getting stuck. They're there because the car is not close to good enough. A human driver who got stuck every 10,000 miles, let alone one who had a crash every 10,000 miles would ultimately be considered incompetent and have their license revoked.

You wrote that the safety drivers are just there in case the car gets stuck. That is clearly nonsense.

If they're having to disengage every 10k miles they aren't there for the car getting stuck. They're there because the car is not close to good enough. A human driver who got stuck every 10,000 miles, let alone one who had a crash every 10,000 miles would ultimately be considered incompetent and have their license revoked.
The CEO of Cruise has a good blog post on the disengagement issue. I could imagine even if I was being driven by a human driver there would be situations where I would want to take over happening every 10,000 miles, especially if I would get fired if I didn't do so and there was a collision.
The Disengagement Myth
They go back and simulate the counter factual for disengagements to try to figure out if there would have been an accident. I'd be curious what they think the true accident rate is now.

Reactions: GSP and diplomat33
Nice insight to how good Waymo's perception is. Impressive!

mEU0XnK.png

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
This is probably why Waymo and Cruise vehicles are always getting rear ended.
It will be interesting to see what happens if they deploy them and get into a huge number of accidents that are technically not their fault. I guess people will learn not to follow them too closely.

Waymo and Cruise cars are not always getting rear ended. That is a gross exaggeration.

Waymo and Cruise cars are not always getting rear ended. That is a gross exaggeration.
Look at the accident reports, they're mostly getting rear ended.
I admit it could be an exaggeration. I don't know that they're getting rear ended more than a human driver would in San Francisco.
Autonomous Vehicle Collision Reports - California DMV
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/09/Cruise_091620.pdf
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/09/Waymo090520.pdf
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/08/Cruise_080920.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and powertoold
Look at the accident reports, they're mostly getting rear ended.
I admit it could be an exaggeration. I don't know that they're getting rear ended more than a human driver would in San Francisco.
Autonomous Vehicle Collision Reports - California DMV
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/09/Cruise_091620.pdf
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/09/Waymo090520.pdf
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/08/Cruise_080920.pdf

Probably mostly from geeks like me who want an up close look at the car

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
... Now, as the FSD has gotten better, they have opened up to the general public and have removed the safety driver from some rides. ...
They are not giving rides. They have never opened to the general public. It was only ever a small test program. I have repeatedly called him out on these lies, but he keeps making them, knowing they are false. The public could apply but most were turned down. On reddit there was an estimate of 133K applied, but only some 1K accepted. None of my friends and family that live in the area were ever accepted.

Last edited:
They are not giving rides. They have never opened to the general public. It was only ever a small test program. I have repeatedly called him out on these lies, but he keeps making them, knowing they are false. The public could apply but most were turned down. On reddit there was an estimate of 133K applied, but only some 1K accepted. None of my friends and family that live in the area were ever accepted.

That was there early access private beta group. But that is done now. Waymo just announced that driverless rides are now available to the general public in the metro Phoenix area:

"Beginning today, October 8, we’re excited to open up our fully driverless offering to Waymo One riders. Members of the public service can now take friends and family along on their rides and share their experience with the world. We’ll start with those who are already a part of Waymo One and, over the next several weeks, welcome more people directly into the service through our app (available on Google Play and the App Store). In the near term, 100% of our rides will be fully driverless. We expect our new fully driverless service to be very popular, and we’re thankful to our riders for their patience as we ramp up availability to serve demand. Later this year, after we've finished adding in-vehicle barriers between the front row and the rear passenger cabin for in-vehicle hygiene and safety, we'll also be re-introducing rides with a trained vehicle operator, which will add capacity and allow us to serve a larger geographical area."

Waypoint - The official Waymo blog: Waymo is opening its fully driverless service to the general public in Phoenix

@DanCar Now that the NDA is lifted, we should see more Waymo videos that you've been asking for.
Hopefully this will end this ridiculous beef you two have. :p
It sounds like we're finally going to get a large enough sample size to see how well their vehicles really work. It's too bad Arizona doesn't seem to have public reporting of autonomous miles and accidents.

Reactions: diplomat33
Hopefully this will end this ridiculous beef you two have. :p

Hopefully. :)

It sounds like we're finally going to get a large enough sample size to see how well their vehicles really work. It's too bad Arizona doesn't seem to have public reporting of autonomous miles and accidents.

Yeah it's too bad we won't get public reporting of data. But with a large enough sample of unedited videos, we should at least get a better idea of Waymo's capabilities. Not to mention that if there are any incidents or accidents, I am sure we will hear about it in the news. The fact that Waymo is opening up all their rides to the public and making them driverless, would seem to indicate a high level of confidence. It would seem Waymo thinks their L4 FSD is ready for prime time. So I predict we will see some really good FSD when the videos start coming out.

Reactions: GSP
@DanCar Now that the NDA is lifted, we should see more Waymo videos that you've been asking for.
Just to point out, for months you've been arguing and proclaiming that anyone can hop on a Waymo self-driving taxi in the dessert.
It turns out you were wrong - and misleading the forum.

I cannot wait to get approved to ride this. Hopefully the wait is not much longer.

Beginning today, October 8, we’re excited to open up our fully driverless offering to Waymo One riders. Members of the public service can now take friends and family along on their rides and share their experience with the world. We’ll start with those who are already a part of Waymo One and, over the next several weeks, welcome more people directly into the service through our app (available on Google Play and the App Store).

Just to point out, for months you've been arguing and proclaiming that anyone can hop on a Waymo self-driving taxi in the dessert.
It turns out you were wrong - and misleading the forum.

I cannot wait to get approved to ride this. Hopefully the wait is not much longer.

You don't live in the area where the service is available.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
That is NOT a pre-requisite for using the service.

How are you going to take a driverless ride in Phoenix when you live in Charlotte, North Carolina?

If you go to Phoenix, I am sure you will be able to use the app and get a ride. But you won't be able to get a ride in Charlotte when the rides are only available in Phoenix.

How are you going to take a driverless ride in Phoenix when you live in Charlotte, North Carolina?

If you go to Phoenix, I am sure you will be able to use the app and get a ride.
Same way I showed you in the screenshots from the app.
You can't just download the app, that will not help, you have to request for your account to be approved on their platform. My account, is still not approved. Has nothing to do with Charlotte or Pheonix.

I will take a screenshot, but it says "You're on the waitlist"
Here:
mbSwqr5U_IkqoamfqAlac49TSwH3w9pGx-mLgGEZ6bDAxMT1N2rT5MriMDDgz-Lbccwts8ZrRWMbWgvouvqgPCJFVVz99nuYw1mYH0VccTPYxf5p9I4_GF0vY6E3eV7ReKBVdi-FtGmOyEZYevsX6i5BT6D8Gz1wqH7k39-wltG5aX3YjmkeacsmQ1CZj_qkd6_VeIVynFEng__qzbfytKU1NUCNaipi4pV7bclPqwGM0ZKHhkLzhisusIRREgJL0aNlGuE3oOmugwJLHSLT5TGFMQQtGKzIgP8m2zRDUJIdA2zusWGXyabU99fF-AqpIjikVrOn6LbYdETOxRxH-cCflN3TsfeS6xLJXAoxMP4tHp11abviDGhG5mTw-G9hR8mxCqAqQtVrjY8uVV7D25aDlplF3zcFdu9H3daJiPbuudLhoZXeU8nE3Gejr-cyffZ-gr9WHB8_qxto_6D-Cse1suN2hzHBrPR_WeefjiRaJ0euQwFwMAj1RPA0Jb4SiMcb1rmlgREXMYLtssv5d9bsdBJskpSGOThcA-X3HILDC6pzJIJLwl-9fzy8gRjS2My-mJrScYIO4kHqG4J1NOMCAmUh1ZQVu7g74ly9zRYr8wyNS3ABXmzBiBqpk7ShXL9F6GiyLkujrVXKVElalswYLIJpt0Xx0YSY_zhSSVZoPJwM_jYE8erqp6qubYA=w598-h955-no

Same way I showed you in the screenshots from the app.
You can't just download the app, that will not help, you have to request for your account to be approved on their platform. My account, is still not approved. Has nothing to do with Charlotte or Pheonix.

I will take a screenshot, but it says "You're on the waitlist"

Maybe you are on the waitlist because you don't live in the area where the service is available?

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd