Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same way I showed you in the screenshots from the app.
You can't just download the app, that will not help, you have to request for your account to be approved on their platform. My account, is still not approved. Has nothing to do with Charlotte or Pheonix.

I will take a screenshot, but it says "You're on the waitlist"
Here:
mbSwqr5U_IkqoamfqAlac49TSwH3w9pGx-mLgGEZ6bDAxMT1N2rT5MriMDDgz-Lbccwts8ZrRWMbWgvouvqgPCJFVVz99nuYw1mYH0VccTPYxf5p9I4_GF0vY6E3eV7ReKBVdi-FtGmOyEZYevsX6i5BT6D8Gz1wqH7k39-wltG5aX3YjmkeacsmQ1CZj_qkd6_VeIVynFEng__qzbfytKU1NUCNaipi4pV7bclPqwGM0ZKHhkLzhisusIRREgJL0aNlGuE3oOmugwJLHSLT5TGFMQQtGKzIgP8m2zRDUJIdA2zusWGXyabU99fF-AqpIjikVrOn6LbYdETOxRxH-cCflN3TsfeS6xLJXAoxMP4tHp11abviDGhG5mTw-G9hR8mxCqAqQtVrjY8uVV7D25aDlplF3zcFdu9H3daJiPbuudLhoZXeU8nE3Gejr-cyffZ-gr9WHB8_qxto_6D-Cse1suN2hzHBrPR_WeefjiRaJ0euQwFwMAj1RPA0Jb4SiMcb1rmlgREXMYLtssv5d9bsdBJskpSGOThcA-X3HILDC6pzJIJLwl-9fzy8gRjS2My-mJrScYIO4kHqG4J1NOMCAmUh1ZQVu7g74ly9zRYr8wyNS3ABXmzBiBqpk7ShXL9F6GiyLkujrVXKVElalswYLIJpt0Xx0YSY_zhSSVZoPJwM_jYE8erqp6qubYA=w598-h955-no

I believe you that you have not been approved yet. I am sure there is a long waitlist.

But the fact that you have not been approved yet (you don't live in the area where the service is available) does not negate the fact that Waymo is making their driverless L4 autonomy available to the general public in the Phoenix metro area.

You are trying to imply that Waymo's FSD does not really count because you can't use it yet which is a silly argument.

Have you ever used Uber?
The concept is not much different, you are approved for the platform, if you land in a city that does not yet have Uber, it tells you there is no Uber service in the area.

But thanks for misleading the forum for months.

I did not mislead the forum for months.

it's a long waitlist. It might take time to approve you just like how Tesla Model 3 reservation holders had to wait. There are plenty of other people ahead of you who will get approved first. I still think it is possible you are at the back of the line since you don't live in the area. But if/when you do get approved, fly down to Phoenix and try the driverless rides for yourself, and then hopefully you will finally shut up about Waymo not having FSD.

I believe you that you have not been approved yet. I am sure there is a long waitlist.

But the fact that you have not been approved yet (you don't live in the area where the service is available) does not negate the fact that Waymo is making their driverless L4 autonomy available to the general public in the Phoenix metro area.

You are trying to imply that Waymo's FSD does not really count because you can't use it yet which is a silly argument.

All I said, and I quote:
I cannot wait to get approved to ride this. Hopefully the wait is not much longer.

You are jumping to conclusions that fit your narrative. Stop that!

I agree, but whenever Elon says "capable" and "exponential" when talking about FSD, I'm skeptical lol. Like I've said before, the rewrite is Tesla's last chance at redemption on FSD. Who would continue to believe Elon about FSD if the rewrite is underwhelming?
Ok. I'm setting the bar low. If they reach 1250 miles between disengagements in Santa Clara County by the end of next year I will be very impressed. That is where Waymo was in 2015. You can't judge it by the initial release since the whole argument is that it will get better because of the massive real world data advantage. The initial release will be like Smart Summon with the max speed cranked up.

Reactions: cwerdna
The BIG huge difference between tesla and waymo on FSD is that waymo are no even *trying* to create a general solution. Teslas approach is all-or-nothing. Maybe tesla will never manage this (I actually think they will, but not for a few years), but when they do...its DONE, for everywhere, everywhen, every circumstance.
Maybe Waymo will have perfect FSD, thats very impressive, in pheonix soon. (Assuming no construction work happens that changes the HD maps), and maybe in 1,2 years they will have every major city in arizona. Maybe within 5 years they will have a few more states.

But thats playing the short game for quick wins. I strongly believe elon is right, and that waymo are in a seductive, and investor-pleasing, but ultimately pointless local maxima. I dont vaguely expect tech journalists to understand this though.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
But thats playing the short game for quick wins. I strongly believe elon is right, and that waymo are in a seductive, and investor-pleasing, but ultimately pointless local maxima. I dont vaguely expect tech journalists to understand this though.

Tesla's approach is definitely sexier and produces more interesting results. It's nice that there are a variety of approaches, and no one is right or wrong yet. I wouldn't say any company won the race until they can consistently make profit with their services. As for who's ahead in the autonomous car race, it'd be Waymo right now. Although it depends on how you define progress.

Reactions: GSP
Hmmm I think some of us are missing the most Important point:

It has now been nearly conclusively shown that you can actually launch a real driverless commercial Robotaxi Service to the general public!

This is huge and validates many investor theses. If Waymo can do it, other players can do it too, given sufficient resources and time. Many people in this forum literally said a month ago that true lvl 4/5 will be 10 years away. The public is even more clueless about the real progress.

Just for humanity in general this will be one of the quickest and biggest technological jumps ever. And it will not benefit just some billionaires and intelligent millennials but literally everybody from grandma to blind people. I think from this point on to be exposed to the tech in your local jurisdiction will take max. 2-3 years.

I am truly grateful to be alive in these interesting times (minus covid obviously )

I am unsure of Waymo's business model and how much money they can make from this if at all (ie. can this be cheaper/better experience than uber/lyft??), but I think this is some progress. It's only 1 city now: starts with 50 sq. mile then later to 100 sq. mile. Again, I haven't seen Tesla release any video since that Autonomy Day video.

Waymo opens driverless robo-taxi service to the public in Phoenix

Reactions: Doggydogworld
I am unsure of Waymo's business model and how much money they can make from this if at all (ie. can this be cheaper/better experience than uber/lyft??), but I think this is some progress. It's only 1 city now: starts with 50 sq. mile then later to 100 sq. mile. Again, I haven't seen Tesla release any video since that Autonomy Day video.

Waymo opens driverless robo-taxi service to the public in Phoenix
100% of rides w/o safety drivers is very clear progress. Especially with riders not under NDA who can bring friends and family along. Huge piece of missing info is how many vans they'll be running. 10? 100? I'm pretty sure it's not 1000, but 100 would be amazing.

They don't care about making money right now (obviously, haha), but w/o safety drivers they can finally scale.
I cannot wait to get approved to ride this. Hopefully the wait is not much longer.
IMHO your wait will be very long unless you spoof your location data. The last thing they need is millions from all over the globe playing around and experimenting, scheduling rides then canceling, etc.
Who would continue to believe Elon about FSD if the rewrite is underwhelming?
The same people who still believe after 4+ years?

Reactions: GSP and diplomat33